Tips on getting ocelaris tank bred clown to host nems!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Any input on getting tank bred ocelaris clowns to host a nem would be greatly appreciated. Do they even host or will they host in a bubble or bulb tipped nem?

LordsSoilder

Armageddon outa here!
Aug 29, 2005
Holland, MI
www.jc4me.org
Its nice to know that half way across the world someone has the same deal I do...

I've got tank bred occellaris clowns too and they won't host my bubbletip either.... I figured they just didn't like it, but they really dont want to host anything but the sand???

The hosted a rock is some fuzzy algae for a little while... til I got rid of the algae (green hair)...

I would also like to know what they like so I can try to get it for them...

Thanks

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
lol i read somwere that sticking a picture behind the nem of a clownfish can work but im not willing to try just sounds stupid n lame

Germanman

My fish are my babies
usually tank breed clowns will not host a nem if they dont from the first day or so. they are deprived the natural chemo sensory that they get when born next to a nem in the wild...thus they dont know the smell and my never figure it out...this means they won "find: the nem.
some still do though so dont give up hope!

Last edited:

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hehe, mine host my overflows. :rolleyes:

Yeah but they may or may not. Don't really know of any "tips." If so I'm sure everyone would be doing it! :D

LordsSoilder

Armageddon outa here!
Aug 29, 2005
Holland, MI
www.jc4me.org
What if you took your clowns and the nem you want them to host in and create a little in tank fuge with just enough room for the them and put them together for a day or two...

They would be forced together with the nem, and after a while they would be used to them....

Sounds easy enough, but do you think it would work?

LS

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
What if you took your clowns and the nem you want them to host in and create a little in tank fuge with just enough room for the them and put them together for a day or two...

They would be forced together with the nem, and after a while they would be used to them....

Sounds easy enough, but do you think it would work?

LS
ive heard that is a good method. also, what suposedly helps is if you put your hand in the box or whatever they are in. THey will dive into the anem for shelter.
ive just decided to live with mine hosting my xenia. haha

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
That is a good idea- to put them in a fuge together temporarily. I think I'm going to try that when I get new clowns. Just wondering if the fuge lights can handle it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store