Lost my cleaner shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Longinus

American Eel
Mar 18, 2007
midwest
Recently I picked up a couple things from a guy who was taking his tank down. I drip acclimated them all over about 2 hours and then put them in, everyone looked great (fighting conch, hairy urchin(traded to lfs due to size),tiger shrimp, cleaner shrimp)
A few days later my cleaner shrimp kicked it hiden in some rockwork(I got him out).

My question is, what do you think killed him? I think it could have been rockwork falling on him(I wasnt prepared for how much the tiger shrimp would tunnel, he was brought along with the other guys without my knowledge, Love him though!)

Tests I ran:
SG: 1.023
PH: 8.4
Nitrates < 10
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

Didnt run any other tests.

I dont beleive this was a molt(it looked too complete, and I cant find him hiding somehwere), and it didnt move at all when I got it out. He looked perfect even after he died, so I am confused as to what killed him.

Everything else in the tank is doing great, shrimps, crabs, snails, conch, damsel, (even the urchin looked great when I still had him).

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hi there. Why do you think it may have gotten crushed with rock? Did some of your rockwork actually fall?

It could just be one of those things. I had one of my cleaner shrimp die a few weeks ago. Never figured out why. :huh:

It could've been trying to molt and just didn't get through it, or it could be something else. Sorry you lost it though.

Longinus

American Eel
Mar 18, 2007
midwest
did the body smell and have flesh in it? also how bout or other shrimp killing it?
It didnt smell, but I have a cold so that couldnt have helped, but it did look very much like it had flesh on it.

I now think the other shrimp may have killed it, even though they lived together in the 70g that I got them from, my tank may have just been too small. I saw the tiger shrimp harassing my emerald crab this morning, but he pinched back and they ran away from each other.

I thought it could be rock work falling due to the constant rearranging of the tank the tiger shrimp does.

Longinus

American Eel
Mar 18, 2007
midwest
ty for the input guys, I think the cleaner decided to try to take on the tiger and the tiger won. (I saw the cleaner trying to move in on the tigers den).
I just wont try to keep other shrimp with my tiger from now on :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store