100 gal club, filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dogface

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
For those running tanks 100 gals or more, what kind of filtration are you guys running? Just would like to compare it to mine. Currently I have a 110 gal w/

30 gal sump, water runs through filter socks, then 30 lbs of live rock, then a sponge. I also do light skimming with a cpr bakpak. Circulation in my take is 2 return lines (250gph each) and 2 rio plus powerheads (642gph each). Tell me what you guys got, I need some ideas to better the tank. Also I only have 3 fish.

Last edited:

Germanman

My fish are my babies
wouldnt use any sponges or bio media that is made for freshwater "and marine" its no good in marine. try using live rock rubble instead. also u might want a bit more turn over i used to just have 4x turnover and now i have 8x and have noticed much a difference in my fish and corals...some say to have 20x turn over.

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
The more turnover the better. Sponges r nitrate factories unless cleaned every other day. I have a 120g and i am running a Mag 18 for my return which is pushing over 1200gph back into the tank and two power heads moving 820gph each. Do you have live rock in the tank also or just in the sump?? More live rock the better 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon of water for proper filtration.

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
Don't you have to match your overflow? If your overflow is returning 800 GPH and your pumping 1200 GPH your going to run your sump dry I guess you can run circulating pumps inside the tank to get your water flow. I'm running on my return about 1400 GPH and I have a hydor Koralia 4 circulation pump at 1200 GPH that puts me around 20x turn over.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
100gal dt
50gal sump/ref
cpr cs 102 overflow
Mag 9.5 return pump
165lbs LR
6 powerheads
Berlin HOT w/mag 7
Cheato in ref.
Gac
45gal water changes every 20 days

7 fish
150+ cleanup crew
Lots of corals
3 peppermints
1 cleaner shrimp

dogface

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Wow 45 gal water change seems like alot. My water turnover would be 1800 gph, for a 110 that would be like 16xturnover. Nolive rock in the tank but Im getting ready to put 50lbs of fiji in it.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Wow 45 gal water change seems like alot. My water turnover would be 1800 gph, for a 110 that would be like 16xturnover. Nolive rock in the tank but Im getting ready to put 50lbs of fiji in it.
I've tried changing less, but I just end up doing it more often. Doing one now.
Tom

NikkO

AC Members
Feb 4, 2004
Santa Clarita,Ca
Visit site
50lbs is a good amount to start off with. Some people recommend 1-1.5lbs/gallon, but it should actually be less if you want to get corals. You could get away with smaller water changes but more frequently.

I say swap the bakpak for an octopus or aquaeuro...the bakpak a so-so skimmer and I never got any smelly dark skimmate out of mine when I had one. But then again thats me-I plan on getting a custom skimmer rated for 800+gallon tank so I'm kinda insane on skimming:).

In my tank I currently have about 4200gph going around and thats nowhere near what I want it to be. Koralias are great for adding some nice flow, Tunze if youre willing to spend a lot on a powerhead.

Bio balls and other bio media are only capable of breaking down nitrate and ammonia. When nitrate is created there is no denitification area. Remember that when you start to remove the bio balls remove them slowly, not all at once or else there wouldn't be much bacteria supporting the tank.

NikkO

AC Members
Feb 4, 2004
Santa Clarita,Ca
Visit site
In the Large tank forum over at RC others with large tanks sometimes don't actually get 1lb+/gallon since they take into account the corals that will be growing and taking space. Also with more room for corals that leaves you more time by not having to frag things all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store