Nocturnal fish WITHOUT hiding places.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Hey...

I have a 20 gallon tank full of syd. petricola catfish. They love to hide all the time. Is there a problem with removing all hiding places For a nocturnal fish? Would this increase ther stress level? Could they ever "get used" to living in the open without a cave? Thanx for your help. This question is just not for the catfish, but for all NOCTURNAL fish.

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
LOL firetank...I agree

this goes for any fish that seeks shelter or coverage...pretty much anything but pelagics/open water species.

You may remove all the hiding places but your fish won't be happy and they will try to make hiding places, become quite skidish, or just stay huddled in the corner all the time. If they are too freaked out to move...they are too freaked out to eat...they'll get sick.

Why not try to adapt your hiding places to encourage the fish to be in view, but still in hiding. I know it sounds like an oxy-moron...but for example, a piece of slate or driftwood wedged into the gravel at the front of the tank can form a "cut-away view" of a cozy hiding space. Or thick plants...or broken terra cotta pot pieces to make semi circle caves. just use your imagination...think like a fish.

Hope this helps,

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Nocturnal fishes without hiding places are like people who see dead people,they have to hide,that's how they are designed,to see in the dark better.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
It was just a question. I have a pile of white PVC tubes (the safe kind) with lace rock and slate piled half way up tank and covering half the bottom. They enjoy this mountain of tunnels :)

I know my albino bristlenose enjoys it..breeding constantly... My petricola enjoys it also.. I see them playing with each other all the time!

wetmanNY

AC Members
Sharyl's got it! I'd add to her post, put the lighting at the back of the tank, so all the hiding places at the front of the tank are dark and shadowy.

Pieces of natural corkbark (still looking like bark) have a natural curve to them. You need to silicone a knife cut smooth long edge to a rock to make it stay down (it bobs like a.. well, like a cork). Makes an excellent hollow log that lasts for years and can be planted with the smaller kind of Java Fern.

A big fancy florist can sell you corkbark. Or scope "Florist Supplies" in the Yellow Pages...

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I usually make sure the pipe is not too short because less light will come in,the fish in it would get out more often in the day if the tunnel is bright,white pvc also does that,it illuminates the pipe's insides by reflecting the bit of light that entered the tunnel.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Yea.. I have 4 foot long pvc white tubes. It does reflect some light into the tubes..Not alot..but some. I was thinking about getting the black abs tubes...but I think it may cause the fish harm (leach toxins). So I will leave the pvc tubes in the tank.

Really nice though. they like the maze and all the tunnels. Wish I didnt need them though.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Pre-made ponds are made with black-PVC, and no one has mentioned toxins.

(sorry, this might be considered a thread hijack)

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
There is Black pvc??? At the hardware stores, all I can find is ABS. Black PVC would work great! White is easy to get. Just cant find black pvc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store