Figure 8 PufferFish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you think other fish get along fine with Figure 8 Pufferfish?

• Yes

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Depends What Fish

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Usually

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

shimanocono

AC Members
May 10, 2003
Canada
I might be getting a figure 8 pufferfish in a 20 something gallon aquarium! Does anyone know what habitat, food and compatability of this fish is? Also how much are they usually in Canadian dollars?

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
I said no. definately not for a 20 something gallon tank.

as for the tank conditions, they do best in a light brackish environment (~1.008) and need to eat shelled foods to keep their teeth from growing to the point that they will no longer be able to eat properly. also, it would be a very good idea to fishless cycle the tank because puffers have no scales or gill covers and can't cope with the effects of a cycle that well.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Originally posted by shimanocono
I might be getting a figure 8 pufferfish in a 20 something gallon aquarium! Does anyone know what habitat, food and compatability of this fish is? Also how much are they usually in Canadian dollars?
Brackish, it needs ocean salt in it. Buy a bag of instant ocean salt, the SG (specific gravity) should be around 1.008. Also don't mix it with anything in a 20 gallon that's barely large enough for just the figure 8. Finally, I bought mine for about 8 dollars canadian in vancouver.

qtaquaman

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Figure eights are freshwater puffers that benefit from additional salt. Try a tsp per gallon or even less. You need snails approx2-3 a week, and can feed them snails as 70% of their diet if you want. Avoid species with fancy fins. eg a male betta would be a bad choice for a mate- they run about $15, around here-N.S.

Last edited:

mudvayne

AC Members
Feb 28, 2004
New Hampshire
I'm Keeping one that i moved from my 29g to my 55g freshwater tank.

he has chewed all of the fins off of my dojo loaches.

I don't feed him snails i feed him goldies and guppies they seem to keep his teeth down to where they are eating normal.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
If you want the F-8 to live a normal long life, stop feeding it fish (they eat crustaceans and mollusks) and move it to light brackish water. These are true BW fish IME, they do not do well in either FW or SW. These are very long-lived fish (upper teens) under the proper conditions and feeding.

stashmoney82

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
cleveland
they can be kept with just about anything. just make sure you dont let them get too hungry and the other fish should be fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store