what is wrong with my bubble tip?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dawn8168

AC Members
Feb 24, 2007
Ruston, Louisiana
We just got a bubble tip, about 4 days ago. Mr. Bubbles has squeezed his way between the rocks and now rests in dark hole, amongst all of the live rock, at the bottom of the tank. As far as I can tell, with a flash light, he is full and open and happy once the lights go out. During the day, when the lights are on, he is all shrunken up and looks dead. I thought they slept during the night and were so alive in the light. Don't they have to have light to live? Or is he just getting used to the new current, light and surroundings before he decides to plant his foot somewhere? What good is a bubble tip when they are hidden and you can't see them!!?? I am afraid he is going to starve as he is in a place that we cannot get to him to feed him. If he is "awake" at night is he catching critters to keep him fed? I think I have a defective bubble tip!!!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Well it could be that your lights are stronger than the LFS, and the bubble tip has to get used to it. If he doesn't come back up himself, slowly move him up over 2 weeks.

johansonp

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
North Carolina
I've had the same experience with bubble tips. My initial assumption was that it would immediately go for the brightest spot in the tank, so that's where I put it.

It moved to a shaded spot and stayed there for about six weeks, all the while maintaining its color and healthy appearance. One morning I came in and it had moved out into the strongly lit area of the tank and has been there ever since.

I think Rockethippo is right; give it time. As long as it doesn't start fading it should be OK. If it hasn't associated itself with a clown fish you'll need to feed it some seafood about once per week.

Paul

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store