saltwater food for freshwater fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
yo. whatsup. I'm curious about mixing foods between freshwater and saltwater fish.

for example, i bought a marine frozen pack of food. it has 4 different types of food in it. brine shrimp, squid, marine mix, and emerald entree I think. it says for use with saltwater fish on it.

I only have one saltwater fish so he can't eat an entire cube. I gave some to my freshwater fish and they ate it eagerly. Is this a smart thing to do? Could it affect them harmfully? I know you can give freshwater fish brine shrimp which is saltwater and they are fine...

I looked at the ingrediants on the back of all my food. it seems more or less the same between freshwater and saltwater.

so whats the deal? bad to mix or doesn't matter a whole lot.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I was reading the side of some 'Prime Reef' flakes yesterday, and it said that the scrumptious ingredients of the reef are good for all salt and freshwater fish.

So, I'd say it's ok!

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
I wonder if you give freshwater fish saltater fish food, they would become more nutricous feeders for large predators?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
I wonder if you give freshwater fish saltater fish food, they would become more nutricous feeders for large predators?
its the fatty acids and lipids that are different and why u cant feed freshwater fish to saltwater...so it wouldnt make a difference its internal chemistry.

i have always feed brine to my freshwater as well as blood worms to my salt. seems to work just fine.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
ever seen the concoction those discus breeders use?
beefheart, prawns, cod, etc..etc

I feed my discus and angels brine shrimp, mysis shrimp bloodworms...etc..

many of the SW foods are also labeled for fw fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store