Blue Hippo Tang Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danielmanlee

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
I just started my 72 gal tank 3 weeks ago, currently i only have a yellow damsel and a domino damsel inside, i only have about 20lb of LR and 3 inches of LS... I wanted to add a blue hipp tang, Do you think it will work?
:help:

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paracanthurus hepatus - Also known as the "regal tang", "blue tang", and of course, "Dory". This beautiful fish is royal blue, with a black palette pattern on the side and a yellow tail. Of the thousands of fish available to the trade, this is one of the most popular of them all! It can be shy, especially when first introduced to the aquarium, and should be provided with branching corals or some other suitable shelter sites. This tang will lie on is side (often startling those unaware of it's behavior) if it cannot find a suitable hiding place, or when first introduced into the aquarium. This species is usually more docile than many other Surgeonfishes, and gets along great in a peaceful community tank or reef. Juveniles can be kept in the same tank, but adults often quarrel, unless the tank is very large and they are introduced together.[/FONT]

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
All that being said, liveaquaria says it's a beginner fish, they say it's fine in 70+ gallons...

As long as your water is fine, a little juve would probably be fine in there.

However, let me tell you something:

I recently went through a bout of cancer in one of my dogs. We took her to repeated sessions at a vet here in NJ.

They have the biggest fish tank I've ever seen (outside of an aquarium). the thing is round, and probably 10 ft in diameter. Of course, it's got a box in the middle with all the equipment,, and the rock wall and corals are all on top of that. Basically, picture the most amazing tank you can imagine...and that's it.

Anyway, they have 4 hippos in there.

I've spent no less than 10 hours in that place, starring at the tank. And you know what? The only fish that swim nonstop are the hippos. They swim around in a circle the entire time. Seriously.

When they say tangs need room to swim, I think these are the guys they're talking about.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Yep, i agree with Damon...A hippo tang will do just fine in there....the other benifit is you dont have much live rock which equals more swimming room....What filtration have you got on the tank?..just out of interest...

Niko

danielmanlee

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
Thanks for the reply, Atnixon.. i only have a remora skimmer started in the 15 gal sump... no other filtration... would you prefer to get 1 at least? and i am not planning to have too much LR in the DT.. maybe add another 10lb to the sump.... advise greatly apprreciated...

danielmanlee

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
:bowing: So sorry, Subliminal... I didn't mean to leave you out. I am so sorry. Your info was very well taken.. As you can see.. I am still very new at this.... only 18 posts.. Please forgive me as I will need more advise from you down this road...

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
:bowing: So sorry, Subliminal... I didn't mean to leave you out. I am so sorry. Your info was very well taken.. As you can see.. I am still very new at this.... only 18 posts.. Please forgive me as I will need more advise from you down this road...
I would personally yes...As the live rock will not provide the filtration needed...Ensure you buy one that is rated for your tank gallon size...Am sure many will chime in with suggestions of what make or model...

Niko

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
If u only have 20lbs of live rock and a skimmer, are you sure your tank is even cycled?? There is no biological filtration in the tank. You need at least a pound of LR per gallon for filtration. 1.5 - 2 lbs is recommended. Without that you won't keep anything alive in that tank. A hippo tang will also quickly outgrow a 72g tank. If you are not going to put more LR in you need a Wet/Dry rated for a 72g or larger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store