ill tang, please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazyhaggis

AC Members
May 6, 2007
Scotland
Please help my Tang’s ill!!

She seemed to have recovered fine from the ich and was feeding happily, I’ve also been feeding her some dried seaweed which she loved.

But today, at first I couldn’t find her and then later on I noticed here lying wedged amongst some rock.

I tired to offer her some food, the chromis are fine and gobbled it up, but my tang just sat there on the rock.

I just got back tonight and it seems she’s moved a bit but she’s still wedged amongst the rock. I can see her gills are moving very quickly.

I ran a quick water test, all is ok, none of the other inhabitants seem affected, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
can you post your actual water parameters please mate...Do there appear to be any damage to the tang at all? its not actually caught somehow on the rock and stuck there?

Niko

crazyhaggis

AC Members
May 6, 2007
Scotland
I didn't use any treatment for the ich, I did a bit of reading and read that often if the fish is healthy they can over come ich themselves with good quality food and water.

I have just noticed a white spot about 1mm from her mouth and its about 1mm in size. Also she seems to sit wedged in the rock, swim away, defecate and then swim back.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
You didn't mention the type of tang, but I read this about the blue tangs today:

www.nyaquatic.com said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This tang will lie on is side (often startling those unaware of it's behavior) if it cannot find a suitable hiding place, or when first introduced into the aquarium.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
that same description at nyaquatic said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paracanthurus hepatus - Also known as the "regal tang", "blue tang", and of course, "Dory".[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

So it's probably exactly what they're talking about..?
[/FONT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store