New 75 G African Tank....need help...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have my 75 gallon African tank setup and ready to go. PH is 8.0 and KH and GH are solid. Everyhing is cycled and I am ready to add fish. I know I want to add a auratus ( or a few ?) and also like the Kenyi, Ahli, and Johanni's. I want to stick to a mbuna setup. Thanks.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Yea, I just don't know how to mix them properly.

knickfnatic

AC Members
Oct 22, 2006
Although I have not set up a tank for africans yet, my little bit of reading on the ahli has made me believe they will be fine with other africans from lake malawi. It seems you should have a lot of rocks to try and limit their aggression because they are very territorial. Like I said this is just what I have been reading on them......good luck

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Sounds good.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
very aggressive fish you're after there, but you do have the space to do a really nice tank - i think the ratio you want is 1 male to 3 or 4 females in each case, adjusted for personality issues. Lots of rock work built to form caves.

One suggestion; do natural looking tank with rocks, sand/gravel, background, and the fish.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Ahlis are not mbunas therefore should not be in with them. The others are all mbunas though. I would get the pH to 82, at least after you add them since many LFSs do not keep them in that high of a pH. I would also add the proper lake salts, these also help with proper coloration, growth, and health since their native waters do have certain salts in certain proportions and concentratins. What food do you plan on feeding? I highly suggest New Life Spectrum (NLS). This is hands down the best brand out there. I cannot believe the colors I am getting in my mbunas and especially my peacocks by doing a pH of 8.2, the lake salts, and the NLS.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
It is not the size of the tank it is the type of fish. Ahlis are open water piscivores. They are part of the group of fish that are the reason the mbunas stick so close to the rocks.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Well I definitely stuck to the Mbuna's. I picked up 1 male kenyi / 1 female and 1 male zebra / 2 females. Should I go three females to each male? IS it ok to add aurutus? I have scrapped the ahli idea and plan on sticking to just mbuna's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store