Assorted Africans?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Everywhere I go (Petsmart, LFS, even Wal-Mart) I see a tank that says assorted cichlids. Are these just mixed breeds? I am wanting to do an all mbuna tank so should I stay away from these?

x0x0x0

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Inland Empire, Cali
i know what you mean, no matter what lfs or chain store, there are assorted or mix mbuna.. however sometimes i look at them and i see distinct genus.. like the other day i was looking at a mix cichlid tank, but i could tell that one of them was a giraffe hap.

If you want to make a Malawi Tank, i'd avoid getting two species from the same genus....you might just end up with mixed cichlids. what i mean by this is.. don't get two from pseudotropheus genus.. honestly it's all up to you. if you want mixed cichlids and are fine with that.. then go ahead. The only problem is that you'll have a hard tmie trying to find compatibility between your fishes and if they breed, that makes the problem worse...

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
The mixed mbuna tanks in many fish stores are often a mix of pure and hybrid species, so you need to be careful if you are looking to breed. If you just want a show tank and you see something you like, why not? I have a big mixed mbuna tank that definately has a few "mutts" in it.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
You can get a nice fish out of those tanks - just don't expect it to be identified as a recognised species as such, and if it breeds keep it in your own tank.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
All you have to do is develop an eye for mbunas. Once you can look at a tank full of assorted african cichlids and see the mbunas as opposed to the others you will be fine.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
OK thanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would stick with private breeders if looking for something specific. But the mixed ones do make a nice large show tank for viewing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store