Betta with hole in the head?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cmgroffie

*fish_fanatic*
Feb 23, 2007
Dallas
:confused: OK...I have a betta in a one gallon tank with no filter/heater. He developed a whitish spot on his head that has now proceeded to eat him. He has a giant hole in his head that I have treated with everything I can think of (not all at the same time of course) Pimafix because at first it looked cottony, then Melafix because the previous did nothing. When Melafix did nothing I treated with an anti-parasitic that has also done nothing. The hole just keeps getting deeper into the muscle and I am afraid it is too far advanced. I have been doing 25%+ water changes every few days. This has lasted for weeks and won't seem to let up. I can try to get pictures later. Any advice?

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
Is the Betta active (swimming, eating, etc)? This sounds like a bacterial infection - treat with something broad-spectrum like Tetracycline.

cmgroffie

*fish_fanatic*
Feb 23, 2007
Dallas
Is the Betta active (swimming, eating, etc)? This sounds like a bacterial infection - treat with something broad-spectrum like Tetracycline.
He is still eating, but will only swim if I disturb the water in some way. He has just been sitting with his mouth at the top of the water.

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
He is still eating, but will only swim if I disturb the water in some way. He has just been sitting with his mouth at the top of the water.
Unfortunately, because your tank is heaterless, you are drastically reducing any chance your Betta has of getting better. Betta's can survive in 1G of water without a filter, but keeping them in temps below 78F is unnatural.

Invest in a 2.5G with a heater (about $10-$15), and in the meantime do a large water change and treat with antibiotics.

Firey rosetail

Fiery Rosetail
Nov 5, 2009
Have you seen my posts? Hole in head can happen so can HLLE to bettas mine is recovering and looks so much better with general cure pwder 1 pea dot for the 1 gal. Msg me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store