Im a beginner FW.... wut kind of stuff should I use and wut kind of fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blue Chromis

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
IL
I need help on starting a fw tank... wut kind of stuff should i put in there and wut kind of fish! and wut size of tank?

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
Remember, don't introduce your fish to a new tank until at least 48 hours have passed with the tank functioning fully with filter and gravel. After that time, buy some "hardy" fish. Ask your LFS which fish are hardy. Buy only about 3 hardy fish to start the bacteria cycle.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
Or you can get started real soon, pick up your tank and decor, get your fishless cycle started, and give yourself the 10-20 days it will take to "complete" the "plumbing" in your fish's home by fishlessly cycling with some ammonia. WHILE you pick out your fish, etc.

I'd browse the fish profiles of some sites, and look at other people's tank galleries, till you find something that really grabs you.

I know most people say always go big, get the largest tank you can afford... do that, but get the largest tank you can handle and maintain. I'm not a 55g person. But I love my 12g! Course the bigger you go, the easier water stability. But in disaster situations, (cracks, leaks) and in general maintenance, it's a lot harder to vac a big tank then one that fits in your bathtub. Probably the best overall size is a 29g. Gives you a lot of good fish options, it's large enough to maintain easily, beautiful amount of viewing space.

If you've never had fish before, I wouldn't go for the tough ones, the very aggressive or very large fish. And you might consider staying clear of problem fish (and I count neons in this group! *lol*)

Things to consider... most times you want at least ONE fat bodied fish, and a small group of smaller fish, that shoal or move together as one. And some bottom dwellers. Either that, or you can go with a few Puffer setups (though they can be difficult to feed), or one real large school of something.

Fast moving fish are danios (they can make you annoyed like the did me, but I'm a laid back person.) Their cousins White Cloud Minnows are a great middle ground fish... beautiful color, hardy fish, handle temperatures great, and school, and are moderately active. Other schooling fish like rasboras are good (but can be sensitive), or depending on the level of aggression, you could look at barbs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a smaller size tank and a beautiful Betta with some shrimp or frogs, if you want to go simple.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Remember, don't introduce your fish to a new tank until at least 48 hours have passed with the tank functioning fully with filter and gravel. After that time, buy some "hardy" fish. Ask your LFS which fish are hardy. Buy only about 3 hardy fish to start the bacteria cycle.
just be aware that by following this advice you are committing to a period of time where you will have to test water daily, change water daily and generally worry about whether your fish are in danger because of the water conditions.

then you will have your 'hardy fish' in your tank and they may not even be the kind of fish you want to keep; do you want to have to take them back to the shop/will the shop take them back ?

However many 'hardy fish' you buy to 'start the biological cycle' you will still need to add further fish slowly, because the denitrifying bacteria will only grow to handle the waste from the amount of fish you buy...so I don't know why you're being advised by this poster to fix on about 3 (it seems like a pretty random choice to me).

I would reccomend you read the stickies in this forum on cycling so you at least get the chance to make an informed choice on how to cycle the tank.

Personally, I got lucky; some filter media from a trusted source. If you can source this you get to skip the stress of a fish cycle (or most of it) and also the wierd mix of boredom and excitment that comes with a fishless cycle.

You'll have lots of fun though :) great hobby

Mar 29, 2007
fishless cycle gives you more time to study what fish you want before you dive in. I would recommed a 55 gallon with similar reasons that neonjulie said but 55 gallons are easier to maintain, and give you a gigantic choice of fish. Of course if you have enough space and money, go bigger :).

29 stocking (this ultimately goes down to you but....):
10 small tetra type fish (black neon tetras ive heard are hardy)
A pair of bolivian rams or 6 corydoras of your choice of species
Maybe 1 or 2 gouramis to fill in the top area of the tank

55 gallon:
10 medium sized tetras
1-2 angelfish
8 cories or 4 bolivian rams
might have some room for a bit more fish

Also consider if you want a planted tank, or a fish only tank, a few big fish or lots of small fish, agressive, nice. You need to know what you want.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and the hobby Blue Chromis!!

This is a very exciting time, because you've got a lot of basics to learn, a lot of trial and error to go through, a lot of frustration to get through, and a lot of moments of feeling accomplished.

Simply put, you should have a filter, a heater, a thermometer, fish net, water conditioner, and a 5g bucket. As you progress in the hobby and learn more and more, you'll start finding a lot of uses for a clean 'fish-stuff-only' 5g bucket.

I don't want to overwhelm you, so go out to your local pet store and look at the basics.

You'll notice different sizes, shapes, prices, etc... on each piece of equipment.

When you're ready with your next questions, this board has a lot of members ready to answer. :)

gingerinaustin

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
I'm a noob here and all I can say is -- great advice from everyone who responded to your question. Start reading up on fishkeeping, research the pros and cons of cycling your tank with and without fish, and start pricing out the basics-- tank, filter, heater, net, bucket, and water conditioner (Prime is highly recommended). Also start thinking about where you want to put this tank, because where you put it is largely going to dictate its size and consequently the type of fish you can keep. For example, if you only have a tiny corner to keep a tank and stand, or a little table or desk, then you're only going to be able to have a small tank (tanks filled with water are very heavy!) and you'll only be able to keep a few small fish. With a bigger tank you can keep more or bigger fish (but not both--you'll be able to keep either more small fish or a few bigger fish) but you'll need a stand or some sort of strongly reinforced furniture (my 55 gallon is sitting on the stone hearth of a fireplace that's nonfunctional). Good luck and welcome to AQ, you'll get great advice here -- I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store