Playing music to fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know what came over me, I was listening to my iPod and then figured that maybe the fish could 'feel' the vibrations of the music if I held the earphones up to the glass. They seemed to like it!. I played them three songs and watched their reactions, the first two songs I played went down well ("Don't Call me Whitney, Bobby" and "Rough Gem" by Islands), the tetras swam in close proximity to the buds and one of my angels kept his distance but didn't mind, my gold ram loved it and stayed next to it for the whole six minutes in total. The next song I played was "Put a Penny in the Slot" by Fionn Regan and that turned them right off... I've sort of come to the conclusion that my fish have music tastes :idea:. Has anybody else noticed this?

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
Wouldn't the vibrations bother them? Also known as: why we don't tap on the glass... lateral line sensitivities... ???

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I know that tapping on the glass is far from a smart thing to do, they didn't appear overly shocked by it... they were more curious than bothered.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
It's probably to them what standing at a rock concert with loud bass is to us and having the ground beneath you (in this case the water) vibrate. But could they enjoy/prefer/put up with one frequency of vibration rather than another? (I'm not suggesting Heavy Metal songs, I'd never try that, my fish would go into irreversible shock, I play it softly, at about 1/5th to 1/4th of the blue bar)

Last edited:

electromen

Aspiring Nudist
Apr 6, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
myspace.com
It's probably to them what standing at a rock concert with loud bass is to us and having the ground beneath you (in this case the water) vibrate. But could they enjoy/prefer/put up with one frequency of vibration rather than another? (I'm not suggesting Heavy Metal songs, I'd never try that, my fish would go into irreversible shock, I play it softly, at about 1/5th to 1/4th of the blue bar)
aww.. whats wrong with metal?

Maybe that describes the violent behavior of my fish.

NinjaPenguin

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
Johannesburg, South Africa
I'm not suggesting Heavy Metal songs, I'd never try that, my fish would go into irreversible shock...
Mine seem to enjoy Cradle of Filth and Arch Enemy but cower in the corner of the tank when my wife plays her 80's classics too loud...

A m8 of mine breeds cichlids and says a bit of metal at feeding time helps speed up the carnage! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store