So I have these little anemone thingies...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ursula

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
I added 25# of ULR to my 180gal to start the cycle (125# CRL already in place). One of the ULR has, what I suspect to be, little aiptasias growing on it. They are tiny (less than 5mm), have fewer tentacles, and the tentacles have "tips" on them. Another ULR above it, has several tube wormish creatures, with fans. More tentacles, no tips.

When I blow on them, the presumed aiptasias retreat, totally into the rock. The tube worms just pull in their tentacles.

I would take a pic, but they are too tiny. Point being: in my planned FOWLR tank, should I ignore them? Wait for them to get bigger to worry? What is the difference between the two creatures? Both not good in my tank, in the long-term?

I plan to eventually add some corals, so I don't want to jeapardize anything.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If they are aiptasia, then yes, you want to get rid of them as they can reproduce quite fast and become a nucience...Boiling water in a syringe quirted directly onto them is quite effective, or joe's Juice...

Niko

New Reefer

AC Members
If they are aiptasia, then yes, you want to get rid of them as they can reproduce quite fast and become a nucience...Boiling water in a syringe quirted directly onto them is quite effective, or joe's Juice...
I agree, if they ARE Aptasia, get rid of them ASAP. (In addition to the above methods, covering them in a lime (Kalk) slurry using a large hypodermic needle also works very well...)

Before you go on a killing spree, though, I would suggest you confirm that they ARE in fact Aiptasia. In my experience, Aiptasia cannot retract completely, and they do not "grow" out of thr rock - they live on the rock (and glass, and any other) surface, and if retracted you can still see the "blobs" of their bodies.

Tube worms CAN retract completely into their tubes. They are very beneficial to your tank, as they are filter feeders and eat small particles that would otherwise have contributed to polluting the water.

Hennie

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I agree, if they ARE Aptasia, get rid of them ASAP. (In addition to the above methods, covering them in a lime (Kalk) slurry using a large hypodermic needle also works very well...)

Before you go on a killing spree, though, I would suggest you confirm that they ARE in fact Aiptasia. In my experience, Aiptasia cannot retract completely, and they do not "grow" out of thr rock - they live on the rock (and glass, and any other) surface, and if retracted you can still see the "blobs" of their bodies.

Tube worms CAN retract completely into their tubes. They are very beneficial to your tank, as they are filter feeders and eat small particles that would otherwise have contributed to polluting the water.

Hennie
I think the best bet is to look very carefully and compare what you have to pictures of Aitptasia. I had some that did retract fully into the rock. It's base was in a hole in the rock so when it retracted it did disappear altogether.

Here's a good link for you to enable you to compare and read up http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/aipatasia.htm

Unfortunately my peppermint shrimp doesn't eat all of mine!!!

With regards as to whether or not thay are tube worms here's some of my own piccies.

Picture of a tube worm:
tube wroms 001.jpg

Another picture of a different type:
tube wroms 002.jpg

And a picture of a featherduster:tube wroms 004.jpg

tube wroms 001.jpg tube wroms 002.jpg tube wroms 004.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store