Fish floats vertically...swim bladder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
My Dwarf Gourami has been floating vertically recently. Is this swim bladder disorder? What should I do with him? It is contagious? It's been like this for a few days...is there anything I can do to ensure that the other fish are not affected?

Params:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.8

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
yeah that doesn't sound good.

you can take him out of the tank and Quarantine him...otherwise your other fish are at some risk, if its e.g. a bacterial infection.

I'd ask some other folks to advise on meds. I don't know enough.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Anyone else? Please, I don't want my whole tank to get wiped out! :( :(

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
If it is a bacteria, all your fish have been exposed by now anyway.

I'd do some big water changes every day. If you have another tank, pull the gourami and wait for someone to recommend a medicine for swim bladder - I have no experience with this. Make sure you put the gourami in a cycled tank, or a tank with a cycled filter...

Large water changes reduce the numbers of bacteria, molds - causing fungus, and parasites. This is your best bet for your main tank. (Many of these are airborne and there is nothing we can do to keep them out of our tanks.) Keeping fish stress free and the water clean is our best - and our fish's best - defense.

Cathy

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Alright, I can definitely do some large WCs for the next couple of days. Thanks for the advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store