Cleaner wrasse help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey peeps just want some information on anyone who has introduced a cleaner wrasse to the tank. I have this problem that my regal tangs really hate the wrasse, my yellow tang did at first just like every fish i add but he has calmed down. Is it normal for regal tangs to be aggresive towards cleaner wrasse or just new additions in general? Im familiar with the mortality rate of cleaner wrasse but ive kept 2 others in a seperate tank for 2 years now and i feel there care is beter with me than at the lfs or some mofo with 5 gal tank....

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Have to admit, from own personal experience, i have not come across agressive behavior between tangs and cleaner wrasses...However, nothing can ever be ruled out as all fish are different....Even if we buy two of the same fish from the same tank, they could exibit totally different reactions to other fish...

How long has the wrasses actually been in the tank? and has the regal shown agression towards any other new fish in the past?

Niko

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
It could just be the fact that your wrasse tries to clean the tangs and they think it's trying to attack to them. I had a similar problem when I introduced my wrasse. my yellow tang didn't like it even thought it let the previous wrasse clean it.

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
ok my yellow tang is currently in love with the wrasse and is being cleaned as we speak as for the blue tangs there still being there *****y selves... They wernt this way with a recently introduced spotted mandarin or coral beauty....

Germanman

My fish are my babies
sounds like ur wrasse are tanking more than ur tangs like. i had to write a 10+ page essay on cleaner wrasse and i came across a study done that showed that cleaner wrasse will sometimes take skin and mucus form the host instead of the parasites or in addition to them. when this is done it results in a jerking or chasing movement from the client fish. so it seems they might like the taste of ur tangs...it may calm down but if it keeps up it can cause more stress than wanted sometimes.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
sounds like ur wrasse are tanking more than ur tangs like. i had to write a 10+ page essay on cleaner wrasse and i came across a study done that showed that cleaner wrasse will sometimes take skin and mucus form the host instead of the parasites or in addition to them. when this is done it results in a jerking or chasing movement from the client fish. so it seems they might like the taste of ur tangs...it may calm down but if it keeps up it can cause more stress than wanted sometimes.
wow thats pretty intresting stuff G. I am wanting to get a CW but wont till the tangs I have now get to an adult stage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store