Trying to fishless cycle a 12G Aquapod and I can't get any nitrites to show up??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

volatile

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
My Aquapod has bioballs, ceramic media, but I didn't put in the carbon yet. I also have a heater set to run in the mid to high 80s because I read that promotes better bacteria growth for cycling. I also have the Y shaped thing inside the Aquapod blowing right at the surface because supposedly that creates more oxygen for the bacteria.

I filled the 12G Aquapod up with water from the hose and then added some filter squeezings from a LFS. Then 1 day later like an idiot, I remember that I didn't add any NovAqua+ dechlorinator/water conditioner so I figured all my bacteria from the LFS were dead. :( I add the NovAqua+.

The next day I go get some more filter/sponge squeezings and I empty them into the tank. I have some Ace Hardware Ammonia and added 20 drops to get to 4.0ppm.

Now this might be where I messed up. I've read multiple fishless cycling diaries online and some have people adding gradually less amount of ammonia each day, whereas others recommend adding the same amount each day until you get the nitrite spike. Well I added 20 drops a day for 6 days or so and never saw a nitrite spike. My nitrites have always been at 0ppm. I'm using API liquid test kits. Not only that, my ammonia is now at least 8.0ppm and not going down even though I skipped adding ammonia today.

So what do you guys think I did wrong? Too much ammonia? Is that why I never saw nitrites? Or has it not been long enough? Do I empty out the tank water and start over again? Do I wait it out until the ammonia starts to lower or do I just start adding less ammonia?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The high ammonia can actually retard the cycle. I only add more ammonia to maintain the ammonia at 3-5 ppm. It will take a while before the nitrites show up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store