Tang Attack

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SierraReef

AC Members
May 10, 2003
Carson City, NV
Visit site
I recently introduced a Yellow Tang to my 75G reef tank. I've noticed he is attacking my cleaner shrimp. One of my cleaner shrimp came up missing - I now assume killed by the tang. The cleaner shrimp that's left has had it's tentacles shortened quite a bit & I've seen the tang bite his tentacles & tail.

I thought they were supposed to be okay together. There should be plenty of food for the tang. Any ideas - is this common - is there anything I can do?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Well, if he's eating, that probably won't be it. Tangs are very herbiovorus, but they may take a shot at something a bit more meaty. Is he actually eating the dead ones, or chewing and swallowing the pieces he lets out? He may have staked out territory and is keeping everything away from it, or, like people, some fish just don't react like they're supposed to. Does he chase the fish as well?

SierraReef

AC Members
May 10, 2003
Carson City, NV
Visit site
I feed him twice a day - but I've had an algal bloom and there is plenty of food for him to eat. The tank only has 3 fish, the tang (introduced last) with a Percula Clownfish & a Convict Goby. He doesn't bother them at all. In fact, after the first post, he was reported attacking the other shrimp in the tank - Peppermint Shrimp. The attacks are pretty vicious. I don't know what to do other than wait it out.

I feed him a Sprialina flake food, and he eats the frozen mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, phytoplankton and regular flake food ?& granules I feed - I vary it. But again, there is plenty of algae for him to eat - & he does nibble on it day long.

This is stressfull, Ilike all my critters and he's just not behaving. He started out fine but now he thinks he's about something.

karlas

AC Members
Feb 18, 2003
groups.msn.com
Thats unusual that the tang would be bothering your cleaner shrimp. Are you positive that it was the tang killing the cleaner and not a hitchiker? On the other hand yellow tangs are the more aggresive of the species where most tangs should be added last because of this. Is there any other fish in the tank that may be aggrevating the tang?

Mandairn

AC Members
Feb 24, 2003
mn
Visit site
Your tang is insane..that simple:)

no, but really maybe he didn't like the cleaning job he got so he want a refund. Tank just does get thats it a free service..:p

ok, ok im stiking to its insane cuase my flame HawkFish leave my cleaner alone and there famli eat them. Then agian the hawk is too buissy running form the angle and chasing the damsel. And the tank doesn't like how the shrimp looking at him;)

sOrrY No HeLPFul ADvICE

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store