Want to add another small school

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wat2Go

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
MD
I transferred my 29 gallon stock into a 55gallon. This is the population: 3 swordtails (2F and 1M) plus about 8 fry, 1 dwarf gourami, 8 black neons, 3 panda cories, 1 oto

I will add 2 more oto's and 2 sterbay cories. Thinking about adding maybe 4 more black neons.

Now, I'd like to add a female dwarf gourami. Is that a good idea? I would also love another pair of "center piece" fish. Would Rams work? Any other suggestions?

And I'd like to add another school of fish. Thinking about glow light or lemon neons. I'd like some color, other than pineapple or orange. The harlequins I keep in another tank keeping on dying on me and I can't figure out why, so I don't think I'll add harlequins (maybe it is the PH (7.6)...I also wouldn't mind adding something a bit bigger than the black neons but it does have to fit... Any suggestions? What would fit?

All tank inhabitants are very peacefull right now, and I'd like to keep it that way!!!

The tank had plenty of hiding spaces and plants to hide in, with a rather open space in the middle.
Parameters: Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.6.
Filter is a topfin 60, and doesn't make a big current. I think I will replace it with a Penguin for 75gallon in due time...

L.

BIGgourami

One With the Fish
Apr 30, 2007
rolling meadows,IL
if peace is what you're going for then i wouldn't add the female gourami, too many variables to keep them both happy.
fro color why not add some tiger barbs? skip adding the neons and get about 6 tiger barbs. but if you feel that's too risky (tend to be nippy) then i would get gold or cherry barbs.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
if peace is what you're going for then i wouldn't add the female gourami, too many variables to keep them both happy.
fro color why not add some tiger barbs? skip adding the neons and get about 6 tiger barbs. but if you feel that's too risky (tend to be nippy) then i would get gold or cherry barbs.
It is not a good idea to add tiger barbs in with a dwarf gourami.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would suggest making that neon batch as larhe as possible. The bigger the school the cooler it is.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
Don't killies stay real small? Although you don't really want to go smaller than grown neons. In most aquarium settings, fish don't school tightly or often anyway. You could spend hours looking to find them. *lol*

There are some real neat types of tetras, emperors and such, I hear are good schoolers, stay under 2", and with their coloring, are spectacular. (If you can afford them. *lol*)

Other than that, I second TKOS. I hear black neons are pretty good schoolers, so if you add more, you may end up with quite a panorama.

reybie

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
My 1 gold barb and 3 cherry barbs are pretty peaceful and if they do get rowdy it's just amongst themselves.

Wat2Go

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
MD
Added some oto's (have 4 in total now) and will add 6 more black neons (so the school will be 14). Will also add 3 more panda's (to a total of 6)

Called all LFS and NONE had cherry barbs or gold barbs. Read the more recent posts on rummynose tetra's...and seeing that they are rather fragile I figured that instead of adding another schooling fish, I think I'd like to add another somehwhat bigger fish either just by him/herself or a pair.

Any suggestions? Could I add a pair of rams? Could a dwarf gourami go with a somewhat bigger other gourami??? Suggestions??

If none of this works, should/could I add a small school of glowlights (instead of making the black neon school bigger, or in addition...)?

I absolutely appreciate your ideas and suggestions!

L.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store