Clowns have ick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
My clowns have come down with ick. thye must be stressed. but before i worry why they are stressed. i have some questions. I remember reading somewhere once that clowns are "scaleless fish".Is that right?. MY ick medicine says. "do not use on sclaless fish" . So should i go buy some Ick medicine that treats ick? or Is there another method for helping my poor clowns out:(

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
1st, ich is not always in your tank. If they are infected, the parasite was introduced into their tank somehow--either a new fish, they picked it up in the LFS prior to purchase (depending on how long you've had them), or even plants from an infected tank.

Clowns are scaleless, and you definitely should not use medications that are not labelled as safe for them. You can get ich medication that is safe for scaleless fish, but it's hard to find and costs a bit more.

Best reatment--1-2 tsp of salt (NaCl, not epsom salts) per gallon, added slowly to the tank (remove a few cups of tank water, dissolve the salt in there and add that back in, repeat every 3-4 hours til you've got the right ratio) and raise the temperature to about 83-84 over the next day.

This does 2 things--it shortens the life span of the parasite, because it's life cycle is temperature dependant. The salt will help the clowns, and will help kill the parasites (osmotic balance--this isn't high enough to kill them out right, but it does kill off some of them). Do frequent water changes and clean the substrate well each time. Keep the salt in the tank and the temp up for at least 10 days AFTER seeing the last crystal on the fish. Don't quit medicating immediately after, since the spores are still in there, waiting to hatch. You may need to increase surface agitation to up dissolved oxygen as well--warmer water holds less oxygen.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Cats and loaches can tolerate low levels of salt for the time involved here. Certainly not a recommended normal state for the tank, and a dramatic change can be damaging for any fish.

kuhli

AC Members
re ich

My Fav med that has always worked is maracide full strength for 10 days @ 84 degrees.Tottaly bombproof
:)))

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
yes!!!! ich is gone. WOO. thanks alot guys!! it disapeared about 6 days ago. so im getting a good sign that its gone. my clowns are more happier than ever :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store