Ciclids and breeding.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I have never kept ciclids before but have recently purcased a pair. I am unsure as to what they are exactly though. I would like some basic knowledge of their breeding habits. At current they disappear into a hideout together and I can see that the lighter coloured one shakes its whole body quite violently. Is this a breeding sign? Or do they need special requirements to breed? I have no plants in the tank, does this matter? Are they egg layers? Where would they lay eggs if so?

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Cichlids are such a large family of fish we'd really have to narrow down what they were. Some are mouth brooders, some simply drop their eggs in the substrate, too many options to generalize

What do you know about your 2? What were you told they were when they were sold/given to you? Are they SA/CA or African?How big are they? Do you have any pictures?

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
I see that you are a new member and I welcome you, But how could you possibly give your fish proper care if you haven't a clue as to what they are? I hope they are alright until you figure it out. Next time you should do some reasearch before making a purchase. Good luck.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Fishlips give him a break - he lives in England, everybodys crazy over there!

Really though steve, you may have wanted to find out what they are first. Maybe if you tell us how many pounds they were we can help you, as then we could narrow it down to rare/semi-rare/common...

Ok, for real now. What color are they, mostly? Do they have any distinctive marks on them? How large are they?

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I have perfectly healthy fish, in a good sized (90 UK Gallon) tank. I have kept tropical fish for 12 years. My fish are medium to large sized with my favourites being two large banded leporinus of 10 inches and 8 inches. The fact that i do not know exactly what species my two ciclids are is not a problem for me. I would be confident of adding any fish to my aquarium and being able to look after them well. I took advice from LFS and have have a full pellet range to feed them, and my tank has plenty of places for them to burrow. They love the sand and obviously find it highly amusing to completley ruin my neat lay out!!! lol This is my first attempt at keeping ciclids and I feel that purchasing a single pair is a good way to start. If you could see them then you would appreciate that they are looking very comfortable in their new environment. Comfortable enough that I am convinced they are a breeding pair. I would like to find out what exactly they are, but through my research I have yet to find them. They are light blue to lilac in colour and have 3 horizontal black stripes. One across the middle of the body, the second just slightly above that and the 3rd is at the very top of the body by the fin. Suggestions to finding a pic would be helpful

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
They are around 4 inches in length and were priced up at 16 pounds each, but the pair cost me 25 pounds. They have established a good hieracy system in my tank after a few little scuffles with my larger fish. Becoming clearly dominant over my 8 inch leporinus and clown loach, but are quite clearly wary of the larger leporinus and especially my Florida Gar. The reason I brought up the breeding aspect is that they have become very protective of one hideout in particular and as stated earlier one seems the shake rigorously when they are in there together.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
You are lookin at a good fish website here,take your time looking at the fish profiles,kinda outdated but still useful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store