Floating plants for my10g tropical?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 9, 2007
I have a male CT betta who loooooves it when I leave my plant cuttings floating on the top of my water in my tank after I prune my plants. However, it looks kind of sloppy. Are there any lower maintence plants that actually float on the top of the water? It's fine if their roots or whatever hang down, I'd rather not have to let my tank become overgrown either. However, I would not like them to be very large as to completely block the light that gets to my other plants.

stewmac

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Canada
hydrocotyl. plant it or anchor it to the bottom, it then grows up to the surface leaving big root systems hanging from the main stock where the leave shoots are above the water. sort of like a lily pads of sorts. very fast grower too... pretty low maintenance.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
If you have good lighting you can go for some Salvinia minima or oblongifolia.

Mar 9, 2007
For my 10 Gal I have 2 10 Watt CF natural daylight bulbs (2 watts per gal). I already have a good variety of plants in my tank, Java fern, java lace, java moss, Rotala rotundifolia,Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, and Ludwigia repens. I dose API Leaf Zone and Flourish weekly. I have a sand/florite substrate. I also have several mystery snails, but they don't eat my plants, luckily.

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
My Bettas do OK with Duckweed, but I've had problems feeding them with a full duckweed cover. I finally got smart and am floating a loop of airline tubing in one tank to make a feeding ring, and at work, I just made a square out of a straw to float.

I would actually suggest water lettuce, as it isn't quite as prolific (read: less messy and less maintenance) and has nice long roots your betta would probably love. As much as I love duckweed, it does filter out a percentage of light once it takes over.

There was a similar post a couple of days back where we listed a bunch of floating plants you can consider. Off the top of my head, frogbit, Salvinia natans (floating fern), and Fairy Moss (Azolla caroliniana) are cool looking floaters. I'll post a link to the previous post if I find it.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109507

I've got an email out to someone at Aquabid... they mix a Grab Bag of 2 types from their list of 5. Unfortunately I've confirmed that Water Lettuce are illegal in several states, mine included. But I'll probably get two other types.
Like other invasive/noxious types, maybe it is illegal to sell/ship, but not to give. If you find out that is the case, you may be able to do a trade. If my water lettuce takes off I would be happy to send some to you.

FYI, there is a seller on aquabid that seems to always have floating plants, including frogbit for sale on the 1-hour auctions.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store