I'm having trouble keeping my cool water tank cool. Please help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tsifuentes

AC Members
May 12, 2007
wisconsin
Ok I have a question for you all, if you can help me. I love Fancy Gold fish and have recently acquired a 20g aquarium and several goldfish that (a mother's day gift) that I found out, through this site, that my tank will become too small for. I am now considering either rehousing most of them or getting a larger tank. That problem solved, I have another problem. How do I keep the water "cool" so to speak. It got up to 80 degrees. My tank is in a good area, but recently the temperature outside has gone up and so did the temp in my apartment. I don't have central air so I am not quite sure how to get the temp to go back down. Other than buying a fan to put on the tank, I don't know what else to do. It's only been a less than 24 hours since it hit 80 degrees in the tank but the temp has been steadily rising since it got set up on Saturday. So far the fish seem to be doing well but I am worried that they might die. Even getting a bigger tank won't help me much if i can't keep the water cool enough for them. Please help!!!

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
I don't have my air on yet. The tank is warmer than normal. You could try a fan, or float an ice bag a few times a day. Or, lower the water level so no one jumps, and leave the lid open during the heat of the day.

Mar 29, 2007
Put it in a room with no lights and put some fans on the roof of the tank with an egg-crate as the cover.

dmk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Western NC
The temperature in my tank was rising a bit over the last few weeks. I found that by doing a daily 20% water change with cool tap water, it kept the temp from rising too high. Plus it's good for the fish, especially if you vacuum the gravel when you do it. Make sure you treat the tap water with a conditioner to neutralize the chlorine or chloramines that may be in it. I also drew the blinds hear the tank so it doesn't get any direct afternoon sun.

BTW, doing water changes with buckets can be a pain I just got a Python and it's lot easier!

captainpiratebo

AC Members
Apr 22, 2007
UK
try filling bottles with water and then freezing them then leaving the fozen bottles in the tank until they melt.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Open the lid and blow a fan across the water....thats what it said in aquarium magazine.

I was thinking of what to do in case the AC broke. I came up with the idea of dropping ice in the filter.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
my goldfish tank was topping 92F for june-august, over 80 in may and september monthes. I dont have cental air either, and I didnt even think of this before I got them! They were fine, I know they cant live in temperatures this long all year long though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store