EMERGENCY Koi dying at fast rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

babyrok

Registered Member
May 15, 2007
Hi there. Recently I have bought some small koi and set them up to live in an aquarium until they get bigger. Five fish have died in the course of two days. The first two died and I changed the water, bought a new filter and retested the water before putting in replacements. Now three more have died and I am down to one left. It is a ghost koi and very important to me. I do not know what is wrong because my water is almost perfect the pH is 7.6, ppm alkalinity is 180, ppm hardness 50, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite. There is nothing as far as I can see that could be wrong. I have been reading sickness and parasite koi pages since the first two died. I have even examined the dead fish and found nothing wrong. Is there anything that you can think of that could be the cause? Also, all the fish would swim around normally and then they would begin to rest on the bottom frequently, then they would lay on their sides gasping for air. They did not hang around the filter at all and they didn't gasp for breath at the top of water.

babyrok

Registered Member
May 15, 2007
No ammonia test. 10 gal tank I'm using a tetra power filter for 10-20 gal with added aeration. I just set the tank up no more than three days ago, it doesn't even have gravel.

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
The fish produce ammonia, and it kills them. You need to do an immediate water change and start testing for ammonia.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio

captainpiratebo

AC Members
Apr 22, 2007
UK
10gallon? you cant keep koi in a ten gallon tank!?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store