maxima clam or t gigas clam??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zad

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
How can I tell the difference i just bought a clam today thought the lfs told me it was a t.gigas but got home looked at receipt says maxima clam. Are there any special characteristics that would distingush the difference. the shell is not smooth but looks like ridges and it also blue with bright blue spots. any help would be great.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
its the shell that tells u. bysal opening as well as ridges. can u get pictures of top bottom, and sides for us? maximas have a small opening with large ridges on the sides shell is also narrow. corcea' large bysal opening and smooth. gigas are in the center with squamosa and derasa clam which have a different shaped lip. gigas are also very wavy form side to side.
also sometimes sores will just type in another name so they dont have to enter the right name into the computer...my old work did it they were lazy...every fish was a goby...was kinda sad..

Last edited:

zad

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
Photos of clam

Here are the photos of the clam. If anyone can id it that would be great. Thank you.

clam.jpg clam lemon drop.jpg

Mar 29, 2007
nice clam and fish, either a very small clam or a very big fish (going for the small clam)

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
I love the color! I want one. How much does a t gigas weight full grown?

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Easily 500lbs. People get hurt by trying to lift them!

Smaller clams needs substitute feeding, be sure to keep that in mind.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Easily 500lbs. People get hurt by trying to lift them!

Smaller clams needs substitute feeding, be sure to keep that in mind.
ya calms need phytoplankton feeding up to about 3-4 inches long. another must is metal halides or MANY T-5 tubes, they come from shallow waters, thus they recieve much light...to the level of which we cant even really copy. and really unless u have a 500 gallon aquarium you want to stay away form T. gigas clams.T. maxima, T. corcea, T. dersasa, T. squamosa and Hippopus hippopus clams are much better suited for aquaria. corceas getting about 6 inches max and the others 12-20 inches. they also need high calcium levels kept constantly above 400.
at the apparent size...guessing that flam hawk is about 2-4 inches ull need to feed that calm in addition to strong light. Dt's live phytoplankton is the best route to take for food.

AngieW

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
what gorgeous colors!

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
I dont want a t gigas but maybe a corcea. Why are they not recomended for smaller aquariums? Ive seen them in 10 gallons quit a bit.

Sorry to jack your thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store