Clown Loach and Neons....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissa3

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Western MA
About a month ago I bought a baby clown loach to be a companion for my other loach. Well, yesterday I noticed the new loach hasn't grown much, is terribly skinny and is constantly being chased by my old clown loach.

I was thinking of transferring the new loach to another tank I have thats full of neons tetras and guppies. My concern is if the loach will eat/attack them. The loach is still small, and probably couldn't fit a whole neon in his mouth, but Im sure that wouldn't stop him if he wanted to eat it. Will my neons be safe with a clown loach?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
"Terribly skinny" could be a sign of internal parasites, not uncommon in loaches. Levamisole treatment might be a good idea if he doesn't gain weight away from the older one. I agree with H3D, 3 is a bare minimum. Neons & guppies aren't ideal tankmates but they should be safe. Most loaches like more current than those fish would.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store