carpet and floweing plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

10galNewb

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
I have a standard top fin 10 gallon tank with 2 x 10watt compact flourescents. i treat with root tabs and some fert tabs for the water column. the inhabitants i have currently are:

plants:
jungle val.
anubia nana
crypt (lutea)
water sprite
hornwort
anachris
duckweed
apongeton hybrid (wonder bulb)

fish:
4 neon tetras
2 panda corys
1 pleco (currently small will remove when gets too big [bad info from walmart])
1 betta

inverts:
8 ghost shrimp (last time i counted granted my betta didn't eat more)
a bunch of pond snails

I'm looking for some carpet plants and a plant that will flower immersed. I have trouble finding any sort of moss around here so that might be out of the question but i wouldn't mind some java moss. anyway any suggestions from this wonderful community?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Where are you?? I have lots of Java Moss.

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
I just got a whole bunch of plants on Aquabid, many of them foreground/carpet plants. I got some HC (Hemianthus Callitrichoides), Hemianthus micranthemoides, Elatine Tiandra, and Glosso. I also just met someone locally (NE Ohio) and they gave me some Marsilea in trade. I'm hoping to get a front lawn going in all of my tanks, just not sure what will be most prolific in the different conditions.

Of all the ones I listed, Marsilea sounds to be the best foreground plant in terms of light demand, so you may want to look into that for starts. See the link: http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=aquaristic&id=630

I also got some Taiwan moss, (I already have Java) on Aquabid, and just won an auction for some Christmas moss. I'm attempting to fashion a moss wall with some Java moss, and may try the others in time. Are you able to order mosses (legally)?

As for flowering, plants like the Elatine tiandra produce pinhead sized flowers, but most of these types seem to flower when they are grown emersed, not submersed.

Hope this helps a little...

10galNewb

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
thanks geofied... i'll look into that it seems like it will work. i'll go by the lfs today and see if i can find any

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store