Sea urchins... stay or go???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

takeaction

oz reefing
May 16, 2007
Gold Coast Australia
I am relatively new to marine tanks and whilst snokelling the other day found some sea urchins, which looked like black collector urchins or a related species. I have placed two of these both about 2-3 inches in diameter in my 40 gallon tank but i am worried whether this is too much for my tank. Will they eat all of the bacteria on my live rock? will they kill it? any help would be great... Cheers

Bryce

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
They wont eat the bacteria but do consume coralline algae, and LOTS of it. In my opinion, even one is too many for a fourty gallon tank.

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Umm... are you allowed to take animals from the ocean?

lazyNode

AC Members
Oct 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
It's strange. I can't find anything on taking sea urchins from queensland waters. In NSW I've seen people take sea urchins, crack them open and eat them live and raw - right on the beach.

I spose if you decide not to keep your urchins, some Japanese tourist might be interested in buying it from you :p

takeaction

oz reefing
May 16, 2007
Gold Coast Australia
Thanks for the help guys might have to sent them back on they're way then. or sell them to a japanese tourist, I sold some A Mack Tuna a month ago for $250 AUD, dont think the sea urchins will fetch quite a high price.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
In the future, catching an animal, keeping it in captivity and then releasing it again is probably against the law. This can easily introduce disease into an ecosystem. Catching a fish and earting it is very different, and I know around here a liscence for fish and for urchins is a very different thing.

takeaction

oz reefing
May 16, 2007
Gold Coast Australia
Fair enough i see your point but in Australia at least in my state, their are no licenses or permits needed for saltwater fishing unless ofcourse you are going commercial. But as i said i do understand your point about catching keeping then releasing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store