Clownfish fry food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

untoldlegacy

My Rock Can Play Dead!
Mar 28, 2007
ok well eventually after i have my tank set up and cycled a plan to get a pair of clownfish, and i was hoping to try and breed them, ive read lots of articles but there are some things i need cleared up if all possible.

first off is food, i heard you have to use Rotifers, but i dont understand the concept of grren water, is this mearly a tank of water left infront of a window and let the alga grow? and as for Rotifers do i need a starter colony or will there be some in the green water? (itll be a long time befor i get any fish let alone have them breed so i can wait) ive also heard of pulverizing flake food for them, will this work or is this for when they are bigger? also ill be using a 20 long for the fry tank, but it square so if i silicon the corners flat will that be enough for them?

i have alot more questions but this is the only thing im really stumped about.

thanks alot for any help :D

da1jewfish

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
don't know much about rotifers but when they lay the fry you must carefully get them out before canabolize and other tank mates get them.

untoldlegacy

My Rock Can Play Dead!
Mar 28, 2007
tankmates shouldnt be a problem, it will just be the clowns, im going to use the red light method to remove the fry

im_a_tidyman

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
London UK
please keep these posts coming, im going to try breeding too. make some money on this hobby, its bleeding my wallet DRY!

abgg118

Lombardoi and Clown Breeder
May 11, 2005
Johannesburg, South Africa
Feel free to ask me about breeding Clowns

Hi guys.
I've done all of this before, and I'm still doing it, or at least hope to really get going again. I just need to get that first batch grown-up, but time and some bad luck has kept me from raising my first batch of Tomato Clowns to adulthood. I've gotten one little guy to 17 days (past all the critical stages) before, though, when the heater stuck ;(
So, I'll be able to help you out with all you need to know and have to breed clowns succesfully.

I'm growing my own greenwater and rotifers, and that in itself has taken a few months to get right. Now they're flourishing, and it's not *that* time consuming or expensive. While you aren't using the greenwater or rotifers, you can get away with no effort for 6 weeks, and you can just get everything in order again before the fry comes.

But let's start at the beginning. You need a breeding pair in a suitable aquairum. I've written a little article on breeding clownfish, which I'll include in the articles section (Click here). Read through that, and feel free to ask me about anything you may want to know.

I could also supply you with greenwater and rotifer starting cultures, and help you with the how-to of getting it to flourish. If I seem to ignore a question, feel free to PM me - maybe I just missed it.

Waiting your questions ;)
Gideon

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store