betta bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

babyblue1977

Registered Member
May 19, 2003
Visit site
i got this betta off someone about a month ago. in the last week its water has turned completly white ive changed the water several times and no change. im not sure if its amonia or what he is not getting overfed so i know that is not what is causing it. but as for the betta hes fine.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Gouramies and Angels are two such fish...the Gouramies will attack Bettas and vice versa because of the flowing fins.

Angels may be attacked the same way.

What sort of tetras? Some tetras might do some fin-nipping.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Well, your 20 is very stocked as it is, so I wouldn't put it in there. The angels alone will account for all of the bio mass the tank can handle, and I'd very strongly recommend getting rid of the rest of them. The pleco will get far too large for a 20. What kind of gourami and tetras are they? They should go to, if not to just reduce the amount of fish in your tank. Otherwise, if you were to upgrade, those fish are generally fine with bettas with the following exceptions: Larger gouramis, such as blues (and all of the variations, like opaline and gold) do not get along well with bettas and the tetras, again depending on species, may nip the betta's fins to nothing. Something to watch out for.

babyblue1977

Registered Member
May 19, 2003
Visit site
well i have a blue gourami, 4 angels, 3 painted tetras, 2 red tetras, a pleco, and a rapheal. ive had this tank set up a year now everythings fine. i just dont know what to do with this betta now,the only other tank i have is for frogs and newts and a saltwaterso no where else to put it.so everything should be fine once the amonia dies down right.alot of people keep them in bowls when i got it it was fine except it was a very small bowl so i got a bigger one.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The white is not ammonia. Sorry, but a high enough concentration that you can see it will kill the fish. Have you tested the water for ammonia/nitrates? How was the fish moved into your possession? What is more likely is a bacteria bloom that resulted from removing the benficial micro fauna that previously grazed on the bacteria. I would take a quart of water from your existing healthy tank and add it to the betta's tank. This should provide some control for the bacteria bloom.

Bettas do need to be kept in adequate tanks. I highly recommend the 2.5-5 gallon tanks available at Walmarts every where. They can support a plant or two, a betta, and some shrimp quite easily.

babyblue1977

Registered Member
May 19, 2003
Visit site
thanks alot i never thought of that. duh!! anyway i will try and get another setup latter the betta was gave to me because the person bought it for their office and never bought any food for it!! so she said take it. anyway i will get a small tank like you redcomended and try that. but right now the bowl i have it in has some plants and rocks, ill put some water from my other tank in there.thanks again. for everyones help.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I agree with OG a 100%. Walmart has 2 tanks that would be perfect for this guy. Either the small starfish tank, 2 gallon, and the Galaxy/Regent 5 are both nice tanks. I have a set of them here at work. They are both same type of tanks created by eclipse. The only sad thing is the starfish doesnt have a light and I currently keep a paradise fish in mine.
jim

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
Walmart also sells 2.5 gallon fruit and candy jars. I keep Bettas in them along with a small $10 heater from Walmart as well. So far so good, going on three years now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store