How large to Bumblebee Cichlid's get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
I bought my Bumblebee's at PetsMart, where they said they would only get to be 4 1/2 inches. After doing some searching on the net, I've got conflicting answers saying anywhere from 4 to 6 inches for their max size. Anybody have adult Bumblebee's and know how big they are?

I'm worried that they might outgrow my tank. I have a 30 gal tank and 3 Bumblebee Cichlids. Will this tank be big enough once they are adults?

I originally wanted to add more fish. But if they get 6 inches, I don't think there will be enough room once they are adults.

There's more to this fish business than I thought. I would really like to stick with the 30 gal tank, but might have to get something bigger.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Bumblebee's (pseudotropheus crabo) are one of the larger mbuna species and usually exceed 6" (maxing out at about 7"-8"). Coupled with the fact that they're fairly aggressive, the 30gal won't be adequate (55gal minimum, 75gal+ recommended). How many of these fish do you have?

In all actuality, most mbuna (even the smaller species) require at least a 55gal tank due to their behavior.

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll need to get a larger tank.

I have 3 of them. I've only had them a week now. But they are a fun fish.

I'm not liking PetsMart very much atm. They said max size of 4 1/2 inches, and a 20+ gallon tank. I didn't realize the + on the 20+ meant double (or even more) that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store