Snails - inactive for how long ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wrc1045

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Hello,
added several snails this week and noticed that they somewhat are inactive.
they were active as soon as I added them and after my normal water change. water param, are great and everything else seems ok.

the snails are closed, meaning the little hard door is pulled in and the snails do not smell rotten. The are mystery snails.

The current in the tanks and the fish seems to occassionally over turn the snailson their backs. several times we have to right them. will they be able to right themselves for the most part? or will they just die if someone doesn't give them a hand.

They seem to love the diatoms and algea in the tank.

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
It's not unheard of for mystery snails to close themselves up for long periods of time. IME, though, they only close up when something is bothering them. Water parameters are one possibility, but so are nippy tankmates.

You say water params are great, but snails (and other inverts) are generally considered more sensitive to nitrate than fish are. What may be fine for fish may be a bit too high for snails. This may be why they are more active after water changes (mine certainly are too).

The snails can easily turn themselves right side up, assuming there's not a fish nearby to try and bite them.

Good luck.

ps. Take a look at applesnail.net. It is the best source of information about apple snails (which is what mystery snails are).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store