New clownfish, Not eating....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rags

Registered Member
May 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Howdy, Just joined up, like to say I have already learned a lot from this site - I have done little else in the last 3 days. :help:

Here's my specs:

29gal SW, CF lighting
20lbs live rock, and a canister filter (hoping do ditch the canister at some point)
Water quality is good: PH8.1,Am0.25,Ni0,NA0, temp 79.

The tank has been up for 2 months, and I just put in my first inhabitants 3 days ago: 2 small oscillaris clowns.

Here's the deal, when I bought them, the LFS put some live brine shrimp in the bag with them - they were all gone by the time I got home. Now I can't get them to eat. I've tried freeze dried mysis, and frozen brine and squid. They only thing they appeared interested in was the frozen brine, which they injested but spit out immediately. It's been 3 days and I haven't seen them eat!!

I see my fish poop here and there which makes me think they are eating someting. I do have a small (but not out of control) algae issue, and a few copopods in the sand, could they be eating this ang just not hungry?!? from what I have read, algae is usually only about 30% of their diet.

They also seem to be hiding in a corner behind the rock when the light is on, but then relocate to on top of the rock as soon as the lights go out for the night. Doesn't seem like a good sign to me, but I can't figure out what the deal is. :( Aside from all that, they seem happy. They have not fought at all, and are practically glued together... maybe I will get a mated pair out of them :) :) :)

HELP! I'm open to trying to make my own brine shrimp, but I'm leaving for 3-4 days so I will unfortunately only be able to give them the dead stuff for now.

Thanks in advance.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Personally, i would say they are just settling in...just keep trying to feed a little, remove what is not eaten....monitor them over the next few days, they should start to come out and be more active...

Niko

Rags

Registered Member
May 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks all, I appear to have had newby fright, LOL.

In the last two hours since I posted the original thread, 1 of the clowns has come out from hiding and is showing a little more interest in food.

chris331

AC Members
i'm having a similar problem with mine... he won't eat, but he's SUPER active and swims back and forth across the top of the tank into the current of my filter and powerhead.

i've only had him since friday, so i'm hoping it's just him adjusting??

oh, how/what are you supposed to feed clowns? i've tried marine flakes, and the guy at the fish store said to give my fish frozen brine shrimp. i've been letting it defrost in some salt water and i've used a turkey baster to get it into the tank... is this okay? should i be shutting off the power heads or filters?

thanks!!

chris331

AC Members
:dance2:

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
I have had my pair of clowns a couple of months now and even though they are active during the day once the lights go off at night they always go up to the surface in the same corner every time! I feed mine frozen mysis and they love it, I have learnt from people here though to rinse in RO water before adding to tank as frozen food contains fairly high levels of phosphate - won't help your algae bloom!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store