Auratus, Kenyi, and Red Zebra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have a 75 gallon tank with the contents in my signature. Everyone is pretty much bashing me over at cihlid-forum saying that once these guys get older there is no chance it will work and I will have a bunch of dead fish. Everything is great right now and I even have a auratus holding. Is it possible to keep these species togethor? They are basically telling me that I will have one dominant auratus in the tank in the end and everything else will be dead.

Bluepitbullz

AC Members
Mar 30, 2007
Sounds like a alright mix to me... if anything i would be more worried about the zebras pickin on the kenyis... alot of peeps also say mbuna and peacocks wont mix well either but ive done it for years... to each his own i guess but really your mix is fine dont stress about it your tank is plenty big...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
it will depend on the individual personalities involved, IMO

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
definitely will depend on the individual personality of the fish...they don't read books or forums.

75 gallons is a great big tank though - make sure you have lots of caves & rockwork. If you see a fish becoming hyperdominant rearranging the decoration can work wonders to calm things down again. You can also remove a dominant fish and put him in another tank for a few days if you have one spare. When he goes back in he will be down the pecking order.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
definitely will depend on the individual personality of the fish...they don't read books or forums.

75 gallons is a great big tank though - make sure you have lots of caves & rockwork. If you see a fish becoming hyperdominant rearranging the decoration can work wonders to calm things down again. You can also remove a dominant fish and put him in another tank for a few days if you have one spare. When he goes back in he will be down the pecking order.
All good suggestions. These people at the other forum I am referring to basically rule out owning auratus or kenyi because they are "tank wreckers". I think they are very nice looking fish. Is there anything else I could add safely? Maybe add 1 more Kenyi F and 2 more Zebra F? Any suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store