55 Gallon African Tank Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
What is a good 55 gallon african set-up as far as fish combination?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I would reccomend a show tank of male aulonocara species - 'peacocks', and some synodontis catfish species.

stunning colours, relatively (compared to a lot of mbuna) little aggression.

Or, tanganyikans - small tropheus colony. 55 might be a bit small for them though.

either way, natural substrate, lots of rockwork, plain background

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I would like another mbuna setup. How about johanna, and labs? I really want a demasomi and lab set-up but I cannot justify the cost of demasoni. Any suggestions?

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
Electric yellows, electric blues (make sure they have the white strip on the dorsal fin), cobalts, blue peacocks,

Notable mbuna cichilds
Many mbuna cichlids are regularly stocked and sold by pet shops. Some of the most common ones are bumblebee cichlid, auratus cichlid, electric yellow cichlid, red zebra cichlid, and johanni cichlid. Cichlids belonging to any of the genera listed below are usually considered mbuna.

An electric yellow cichlid, Labidochromis caeruleus.

Labeotropheus fuelleborni

The list below includes groups of non-mbuna mouthbrooding cichilds from Lake Malawi.
any of these that I found on this website...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbuna

We have mostly mbuna but 1 hap..(the supposed electric blue...it has an orange strip along the top of its dorsal fin)(the true electric blue has a white strip on the tips of its dorsal)...

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
What species are electric blues?

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Electric blues get too large and too aggressive for a 55g tank. I wouldn't put them in anything less than a 75g.

I wouldn't keep johaniis and yellow labs together personally. With a large group of labs you might be ok, but their aggression levels are very different.

If you want another tank with along the same lines of aggression, then I'd go with groups of Cynotilapia afra, Johannis, and Greshakei or Pseudotropheus socolofi albinos.
Or if you want something different, then go with Yellow Labs or P. saulosi, Acei, and Rusty Cichlids or some type of Aulonocara.

Tangs would be a good 2nd African tank I think if you were wanting something a tad different. But there are of course, other Mbuna. I'd just make sure you house some that are along the same temperament.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I am not real up to date on tangs so I should probably look into them. I do not like peacocks. I really would like a mix of labs and some other fish that is similar to demasoni without the price. I love the way that mix looks.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
you could do pseudotropheus socolofi with the labs to get the blue & yellow mix of colours.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
you could do pseudotropheus socolofi with the labs to get the blue & yellow mix of colours.

socolofi do not havve the bold striping like a demasoni do they? I really like the combination of black/blue and yellow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store