Panda Cories & Chinese Hillstream Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Just bought some panda cories and a chinese hillstream loach (sold as a stingray pleco).

Most websites say to keep the temperature between 70-75F(some say up to 79F for the cories). Just wondering if anyone has had or heard of people having success with these fish in warmer waters?

My tank is currently at 82F

I used the drip method to acclimate them yesterday and today they are already swimming all over like they own the place. They say that the hillstream loach is usually very shy and hides a lot, but he's yet to hide since i've had him(or her) and just swims along the water and attatches to each end of the glass tank. Maybe the water is too hot and therefore speeding up their metablism, and then throwing it out of whack?

Then again im a semi-newbie, so any thoughts would be great!

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
i believe hill stream loaches need a power head since they come from fast moving water and colder water too but search on here i know i had a thread about them

Juninho10

AC Members
May 18, 2007
Kent, UK
Hill stream Loaches need fast flowing water (stick a rock in front of a powerhead and he will love you for it. Also these do better at colder temperatures and in no way should be kept at tropical temperatures. My LFS keeps them with goldfish and they are very happy.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
well he's in a 38 gallon now, with a penguin 330 dual biowheel. I know that isn't enough current, but i did plan on addind a fluval 203 cannister(i got it for free a month ago) within the next few weeks, so maybe that will help in that dept.

Last edited:

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Hill stream Loaches need fast flowing water (stick a rock in front of a powerhead and he will love you for it. Also these do better at colder temperatures and in no way should be kept at tropical temperatures. My LFS keeps them with goldfish and they are very happy.
right now he hangs out all along the bubble wall i have set up. guess it gives him some sort of current.

im really thinkin about returning him, but i love watchin the little guy.

kblane

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
hillstreams are used to pretty heavily oxygenated water and cooler temps.

Although my experience with them is limited, I do suspect that keeping that at warmer temps may affect your success. I have a buddy who keeps hillstreams with goldfish (another "cold water" species) and they do quite well. I know he has not had luck putting them in his tropical tanks.

K Blane

Juninho10

AC Members
May 18, 2007
Kent, UK
Yeah i had one. but due to bad advice and my inexperience at the time they was in a tropical community tank.

They are fascinating though and very cool to watch there heart beating when stuck on the glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store