Adult size of Silver Scats and Mono Sabaes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

munkee

AC Members
Oct 21, 2001
how big silver scats and mono sabaes grow?

how big silver scats and mono sabaes grow?

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mono Sebaes can grow to over a foot tall, although they usually do not get that big in aquariums. I would say that with good water quality and lots of high quality food, you can expect a size of about 8-9 inches tall. I do not know much about silver scats but I do know they grow fairly large as well.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Agree with the above. Silver Scats are the smaller species of scat compared to the Ruby and Green but can still get a good foot. Just remember that Scats and Monos need to be in saltwater as adults. I have seen 6 adult Mono Sebaes in a fw African Cichlid tank (125g) and they only reached 6 inchs which is pretty sad.

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
I just had my last Silver Scat pass away out of a group of 3 that I grew out. He was well over 10 years old. I think around 13 or so years old. He weighed a lot, close to two pounds I am guessing...maybe more. He was big. I think he died of old age...he was starting to get a couple bumps(tumors?) around his mouth. They had developed over a years time and hadn't had an effect on his eating and would not go away with any type of medication or water changes. All the other fish in the tank were healthy. Don't think it was something I could have prevented. They are a fun fish...someday I will have to get another group and hope they last for 10-15 years too!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Despite wide availability, I'm not conviced that monos and scats are ideal aquarium fish. They do get very large, as mentioned, and the fact is (IIRC) that they are actually marine fish that return to the rivers to spawn. The young gradually migrate to the sea.

Unless you're prepared to simulate this for them, in a large tank, I'm unconvinced of the wisdom of keeping these fish.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I don't agree at all with Monos and Scats not being kept in captivity. They only get a foot (long or tall depending on the species). There are far worse fish that people keep in captivity like Piranhas, Red Tail Catfish (SA), Shovelnose Cats, Batfish (SW), Golden Trevally's, etc. It is not that hard to duplicate their natural habitat. Sure, they won't get the salinity fluctuations like they do in the wild but they are perfectly happy in captivity. I have 4 Mono Sebaes and 3 Silver Scats among other fish in a 209G Saltwater tank. The Monos are about 4 inches tall and the Scats are about 4 inches long. They are all still babies but see no problem with keeping them in captivity. I think the sad thing is when people keep SA Red tail Catfish in captivity. Unless provided a pool, they are not good captivity inhabitants, not Monos and Scats.

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
MonoSebaelover:
1. At what point/size would you recommend they go to full
marine.
I have 4 scats,3 mono S and 3 Mono A, and they are now at 1.009 and each week i try to raise it buy .001. At this point i am doing 2~3 20% water changes per week.(Not hard work with python). Hopefully getting new reef ready tank in the new year(either getting wood one built or buy a ready made from LFS) havent decided yet. Still doing research on marine so I would like to hold off as long as possible, but also not distress my fish.
Right now they are aprox 1 to 1 1/2 inches still small.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I would say around 4 inches or so, one should start thinking about taking them to salt. I think with my first Sebaes I waited till the babies were 6 inches. This time my 209 had just finished cycling and rather than adding my expensive Triggers, I wanted to make sure the tank was fully cycled. My Silver Scats went to saltwater when they were about 2.5inches. I bought them when they were .5-1 inch (microscopic little things!) and now the biggest one is 4 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store