How big of a QT for a tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
I was thinking two 45 gallon totes for all my quarantining needs. It will be 30" long 20" high and 18" tall. Is it big enought to quarantine a tang? If yes, can I also quarantine a copper band butterfly in the same container at the same time? I could quarantine a couple small fish at a time in the 45 gallon totes right?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
It's fine for a tang, and yes you can quarantine several small fish in a 45g. Personally I wouldn't quarantine a tang and a copperband and a tang in the same tank, since tangs tend to be teritorial and copperband's aren't the most robust fish when you first get them. Plus that's quite a bit of load depending on how big your fish are.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
you could also do what I do,if you really know your LFS. I qt but I dont even own a QT TANK!!! I have my LFS QT my fish at their place for about 2-3 weeks and I just simply pick it up when the time comes, I do this for two reason One I dont have the room for a QT tank. Two It relieves me from dumping the fish into my display tank so soon. I know my LFS by name and I trust these people so I know they dont switch out the fish behind my back. I havent had a prob yet and things have been running smootly. I actually get to pick up my yellow watchman this week. :bday:

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I also wouldn't QT the tang and the copperband in the same tank, one for the reasons above and also two, because copperbands can be really difficult to feed at first. Tangs are not usually difficult to feed at all and would most likely out compete your copperband for food. I would house the copperband by itself until it's proven healthy enough, and eats readily enough, to be added to your main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store