African help..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have a freshly rocked and fully cycled 55 gallon. I know I want to keep M. Johanni's. My question is how many males can I have? I love the male coloring and not so much the female coloring. How many of them total? Any other species that would complement them?

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
What kind of numbers am I looking at?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
That what I thought you wanted to keep (M. Johanni) and wanted info for.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
That what I thought you wanted to keep (M. Johanni) and wanted info for.
Females of M. Johnanni are actually orange. Females of M. cyanerhabdos also called electric blue johanni are blue as well as the males. Males are just brighter.

nzo

AC Members
Apr 16, 2007
I have one set of M. Johanni (1M +2F) and 1 set of M. cyanerhabdos (1M + 2F) <- probably

I also have several other groups in the tank (Labs and others) and although the Male M.Johanni chases other fish, there's been no fisticuffs.

The M. Johanni is the biggest territory hog out of all my fish. He will take 1/3 of the tank if he can get away with it.

The M. cyanerhabdos? female (if that's what it is) is nothing like the male? In fact, the carrying female is bluer, but I have another female with predominantly brown markings.

I understood that this set was still M. Johanni, but from a different place...

While on the subject, the M.Johanni females behave like males (showing off / shivering) and even though the male is the most territorial, busy digger in the tank, they`ve not produced yet - even though I`ve seen them "pretend" to lay eggs!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have one set of M. Johanni (1M +2F) and 1 set of M. cyanerhabdos (1M + 2F) <- probably

I also have several other groups in the tank (Labs and others) and although the Male M.Johanni chases other fish, there's been no fisticuffs.

The M. Johanni is the biggest territory hog out of all my fish. He will take 1/3 of the tank if he can get away with it.

The M. cyanerhabdos? female (if that's what it is) is nothing like the male? In fact, the carrying female is bluer, but I have another female with predominantly brown markings.

I understood that this set was still M. Johanni, but from a different place...

While on the subject, the M.Johanni females behave like males (showing off / shivering) and even though the male is the most territorial, busy digger in the tank, they`ve not produced yet - even though I`ve seen them "pretend" to lay eggs!
I am looking for these because both the female and male share similar coloring. They are supposedly less aggressive as well. I have found that some people call the eletric blue johanni instead of blue johanni.

newsom00

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
that should work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store