African Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Here is some work in progress photos. I am not sure what to add really. The tank is 55 gallons. I would like a good bit of color.

First shot:

More Work:

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Nice start, here's what I'd do...

1) make sure rock formations are stable
2) add a background - it will minimize algae growth, a real concern w/ the tank's proximity to the window
3) research, research, research to figure out what you want in terms of cichlids - either see what's available in your area and look those up, or pick a continent, if not a particular lake or river and research that, and figure out what could go together with out seriously outgrowing your tank
4) (personal preferences here) quit buying plastic plants and get some decent lighting, grow real plants instead - it can be a challenge w/ many cichlid species, but some plants really root themselves well, others can be tied to rocks... real plants > plastic ones

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Good start on the tank,I like your choice in heaters.....:dance2:

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Nice start, here's what I'd do...

1) make sure rock formations are stable
2) add a background - it will minimize algae growth, a real concern w/ the tank's proximity to the window
3) research, research, research to figure out what you want in terms of cichlids - either see what's available in your area and look those up, or pick a continent, if not a particular lake or river and research that, and figure out what could go together with out seriously outgrowing your tank
4) (personal preferences here) quit buying plastic plants and get some decent lighting, grow real plants instead - it can be a challenge w/ many cichlid species, but some plants really root themselves well, others can be tied to rocks... real plants > plastic ones

I am too lazy for real plants. Plastic will do.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have decided on a electric blue and probably some electric yellows.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I have decided on a electric blue and probably some electric yellows.
Good choice, since i cant seem to grow plants i went with plastic also, there are so many different kinds nowdays that look like the real thing...:)

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Will two electric blue males be ok in a 55? I am talking about fryeri.

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
They should be fine, you could add more if you want to. I would add a black background for looks and to eliminate light from coming in from the window.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have decided on electric blue johanni's or Maingano (if I can find them) and electric yellows. I think this would be a good combination. I wil try to get 5 or so maingano and 7 electric yellows. Sound ok?

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Added 7 yellow labs and a black background. They were out of electric blue johanni but should have some next week. I just need to add the new lights and add the 5 johanni and I should be done. Should I add anything else?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store