wild caught

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
I was wondering if it would be ok to take some of the inverts from the beach where i live and put them in my tank? either than the moral issue would it be ok for them? I was thinging of some of the hermit crabs, sand dollars or starfish. I doubt i will do it but want to know if it is safe.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I guess it depends on where you live.

If you live in Boston, chances are they wouldn't do well in 80 degree water...but you never know.

A guy I work with lived in Australia for a while and they used to catch stuff for their fishtank all the time.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I thought stuff like that couldnt live in a aquarium since the ocean has billions of micro-organism that one cant replicate?

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
I think your in Victoria? Or was it Vancouver Island? I'm not sure, but I think the inverts are not suited to warmer temperatures, like the prefered tank temperature, 78-80.

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Yeah i am in Victoria BC. I do beleive the water is too cold, good call. Perhaps i could just use the empty shels for my snails.

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
If it is legal to take animals from the beach it would be awesome to have a small coldwater pico tank. You can just take sand and inverts from the beach. Also you can take the water from the beach, but if you don't take it right from the shorem go in a bit. It would be really cool :) Oh yeah you can probally also take some rocks. I completely don'tknow if it is legal though.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Not sure of the legality of it..but there are several folks in Puget sound that have cold water species tanks.

many of the species they have are local..sea cucumbers, anemones, tunicates, nudibranch, and cold water species , rock fish, greenlings etc.

but I believe it is possibe to get a permit here for these.

keep in mind tho that some areas of puget sound(north near san juan islands are subjected to warm currents..Not tropical but I have done dives in those areas where the water is in the 60's (normal temp is in the mid to upper 40's F)

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
If it is legal to take animals from the beach it would be awesome to have a small coldwater pico tank. You can just take sand and inverts from the beach. Also you can take the water from the beach, but if you don't take it right from the shorem go in a bit. It would be really cool :) Oh yeah you can probally also take some rocks. I completely don'tknow if it is legal though.
DUDE!!! I was thinking of one day living right on the beach and running two tubes an intake to an aquarium and a return back to the ocean....ahh the possibilities..... talk about NEVER doing a water change!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store