Can my fish eat silversides?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Can my fish eat silversides? Or more specifically smelt. On Melevs reef he used smelt to substitue siversides, so I think it would work.

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Hehe you feel your fish :) Do you need to take out the bones? Or do you just blend the thing whole? Or just chop off head and tail?

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
i was actually contimplating this. I bought some fish food (brine and krill) and was wondering on silversides. hmmmmmmmm choices choices. oh yea how does one make a "fish blend" you you toss in all these diffrent fish food and then throw them into a blender or something then freeze them up again (blended) and feed them to ur fishy freinds?? wont the fish just eat what they like and not eat the rest (picky eaters?):read: :read: :read:

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
I think they would go nuts and eat everything... like my fish. Anyways.. how do you prepare the smelt for blending? just put them in whole?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
i was actually contimplating this. I bought some fish food (brine and krill) and was wondering on silversides. hmmmmmmmm choices choices. oh yea how does one make a "fish blend" you you toss in all these diffrent fish food and then throw them into a blender or something then freeze them up again (blended) and feed them to ur fishy freinds?? wont the fish just eat what they like and not eat the rest (picky eaters?):read: :read: :read:
the way i make my blend is to do a medium blend with a hand blender, and that includes the various foods like squid, clam, krill, garlic and noria etc etc which will leave you with a slightly blended mixture but still have small chunks, rather than a mushy goo...Then i just spoon it into ice cube trays, slam in the freezer, job done..the fish eat all of what i put in there, you dont need to worry too much if there is bits they wont eat as the cleanup crew wil soon sort them out..

I think they would go nuts and eat everything... like my fish. Anyways.. how do you prepare the smelt for blending? just put them in whole?
Cut of head and tail, gut as per a normal fish, blend..

Niko

samsmom

samsmom
Apr 10, 2007
Didsbury, Alberta-north of Calgary
My son feeds a blend of peas, head on shrimp, spirlina, fish vitamins(?), brewers yeast all blended which he mixes with knox gelatin and freezes on a cookie sheet then bags into sandwich bags. This is very reasonable priced food (after buying the vitamins) and lasts forever. He has 9 tanks of cichlids and makes a tray of food a month, he also feeds finely chopped beef heart, from a local aboitor (sic) that raises their own beef without hormones, dried krill, blood worms and cichlid pellets, these guys grow at a remarkable rate and the colours they show are fantastic! He also has made his own melafix and primafix, so for pennies he maintains 2 liter bottle of each and always has some on hand. If only he could get a recipe for Prime, LOL this hobby would cost him next to nothing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store