*I'm a snail MOMMY* PICS! HELP NEEDED!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 9, 2007
Okay, as I was checking up on my aquarium tonight, I noticed something:

A tiny SNAIL! YAY! (I have 5 mystery snails, 1 gold, and 4 blue) Now, here's the question, Is the stuff in the following photo fish poop or snail eggs?

Because it wont go away.
Then I look, and I have found a total of 3! BUT Im scared! I don't want to do a water change/sand vaccum in fear of loosing the little buggers. I plan on going tomorrow to get one of those breeders nets perhaps, and putting the snails in there with algae wafers on the bottom of it to keep them out of the sand out of the way of the vaccum (AND my betta!!). Would they stay in the net if the holes are small enough? As long as I put the top part of the net a little out of the water, they probably wouldn't come out, right? Is that a good idea? Any other suggestions? I asked in a thread the other day when snails became sexually mature, because I had wanted them to breed so I could sell the cute little guys! I honestly think my snails have the cutest faces ever!!!

Okay, enough with the chitter chatter, here are some photos of my adorable parents!

Such a cute little face, (down)!!!

Mar 9, 2007
Also should I maybe buy a sponge to put over my filter?

And, I never saw an egg sac above water. Not even in my filter. Why didn't I see it? I thought mystery snails were supposed to lay eggs above water?

^AWWWWWWWWWWWW

Mar 9, 2007
bump

Anyone?

Mar 9, 2007
Also, my betta seems like he has been really not hungry lately. He hasn't been eating as furiously as he usually does. Do you think he's been eating all the baby snails?

christopherhick

AC Members
May 3, 2007
I dont know anything about snails but I think I am going to go buy one now i think I would like them. Good Luck

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
The little snails are not baby mystery snails. Sorry. They are pond snails, and likely came in on some plants. If you have three, you probably have more (or will soon). They grow to about 1/4", so the ones you are seeing are probably already sexually mature. They are very prolific if there's extra food available. Their egg clusters are laid below the waterline (and yes, mystery snail egg masses are laid above the waterline), on any available surface, and look like tiny spheres in a blob of clear jelly. The jelly blobs are usually about 1/4" across or less. The stuff on your sand looks like snail poop, maybe fish poop. Hard to tell, though, because of the blurriness, so it may be baby pond snails. Are they moving?

I like snails too!

Mar 9, 2007
ARe you sure? Because 2 of them have blue bodies, like my blue mystery snails. The other one shown has a gold body, like my gold mystery snail. I checked all my plants before putting them in.....several weeks ago, and didn't hve any snails on them.

Mar 9, 2007
And no, the poop things aren't moving. You think it's safe to do a light gravel vac/water change?

Mar 9, 2007
oh no... i found another. that's 4. I hope they're not pond snails. That would suck. I really want baby mystery snails. And, the reason why I still hope they are mystery snails is because my snails have been doing it a lot lately =) If you know what I mean. Or at least that's what I think they've been doing, because this one, he's a male Im like 90% sure, he has been on top of this other snail for like 20 minutes at a time and ....yeah, Im not getting into details...

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
I'm pretty sure. Looks like the spire of the shell is too pointy and elongated to be a mystery snail, which would be more globular. Do they have an operculum? Mystery snails do, pond snails don't. Also, the outline of the foot is pointed at the back end, instead of the oval of mysteries.

Pond snail color can be variable. I have some that are completely golden, some that are spotted, and some that are completely dark gray-brown. I've never seen a blue one, though. Can you post a pic of one of those?

The plants could have had eggs- they are tiny, hard to see, and it would only take a couple. In my tank, it takes about 3-4 weeks from egg to egg-laying adult.

I think you'd be fine doing a vac. Maybe rescue a couple of the poop-things and look at them under a magnifier if you want to be sure.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store