female guppy is turning black

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texaspride

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Hi
What Would Make My Female Guppy Turn Black ? All my water readings are good . Tank Has Been Set up for 8 Months now. No new fish in Tank.
Any Ideas .

Thanks for the help

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
any pix? certainly dont want to insult your intelligence but are you sure its a female?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and what test kit are you using ?

how often do you do water changes ?

what size is the tank and what's in it.

I'm only asking because it will help people exclude lots of potential answers :)

texaspride

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
nitrite=0
nitrate =0
ammonia=0
I do bout 25% water changes weekly along with gravel vac
She is in 10 gal with male guppy
Thanks for the help :)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
ok if your reading for nitrate is 0 that would make me doubt your test kit, unless your tank is very heavily planted. If the tank is up and running 8 months you should see some nitrates generally.

can you post a pic of the guppy ? would help people advise as to whether it looked like a bacterial/parasitic/poor water quality problem...or maybe (hopefully) just a natural touch of her colour.

does the fish seem out of sorts at all ?

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
The API nitrate test is tricky. If you don't shake the 2nd bottle enough it will read really low or even 0. I usually give it a good shake (30+ seconds), set it aside while I am testing the ammonia and nitrite and then shake it good again, get the test set up with the water and the first chemical (bottle #1 - don't forget to shake this up some after you've added it to the water) and then shake bottle #2 again for 15-30 seconds. then you have to shake the test tube for several (30 +) seconds, and then set it aside for a little bit. You should see good color developing when you are shaking the tube after you add the second chemical. if you don't shake the holy snot out of bottle #2 you will not get accurate results. Period

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
correct - the instructions say shake bottle number 2 for 30 secs before adding to the test tube, and shake the test tube for 60 secs after adding bottle 2, then wait 5 mins for result

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store