Crazy Koran Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AprilR

AC Members
Sep 28, 2005
I recently had a compatability issue (at least I think is was a compatibility issue). I had an adult Coral Beauty and a juvenile Koran Angel. For many months they were inseperable. Then the Coral Beauty suddenly died. (My water parameters tested fine and the Coral Beauty didn't have any marks or discoloration on it. In fact he ate great the night before. Any ways the Koran Angel suddenly became very aggressive to the other fish (chasing). I have removed him for now (put him in a hospital tank). My 1' long Convict goby became a target for him. Before I bought my Koran Angel I read about it first (to try to eliminate any compatibility issues before I deceided to buy it). Nothing I read indicated that this fish could be so aggressive. Is this behavior typical of Koran Angelfish or is this a unusual thing? I really like the colorful species.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
one thing that we all have to remember, is that fish are just the same as humans.....We all have the same tag, but we are all unique...Being unique means that we are not the same as the rest, different things make us act the opposite of the next person...

So, keeping that in mind, we have to appreciate that fish are the same..Yes, we can read everywhere that a certain fish does not act aggresivly to others, but, that is not always the case..The fish may start off calm and non-agressive, but, something happens ....I.E the coral beauty dies, which, by all accounts had obviously grown bonded with the Angel...The CB dies and the angel reacts...

My opinion is that they are reletivly peacefull species, but can show some agression.

Niko

AprilR

AC Members
Sep 28, 2005
I was curious if this was considered typical behavior for koran angelfish because I am interested in getting another one. I really like the species. I understand that there a variations in behaviour amoungst species and that what I read is usually a generalized statement for the species. I just wanted to know what someone who might have experience with this species might be able to contribute. I'm guess I'm questioning what I've read about this species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store