Bacteria or fungus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bottomdweller

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Chesapeake.Va
Visit site
Hey,

Last night I found my banjo cat stuck under some slate.
When I picked up the slate he had a horrible wound on his tale. Now it has fuzzy/stringy stuff on the wound and he is breathing heavily. He is in a 10gallon hospital tank and the ammonia is zero and not sure on nitrites. Only medication I have on hand is Quickcure and Hex-A-Mit. Could this be a bacteria or a fungus. I might have pics soon.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Could be either, but probably fungus. There are some good medications out there, such as Mar-Oxy. Post pics first for positive I.D.

bottomdweller

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Chesapeake.Va
Visit site
I just got back from school and it is defintly a fungus. Will that medication harm the gravel bad any? If it does should I just do 10-20% water changes everyday. I off to the LFS now to get some more advice and medication. Thanks for the advice. O the pics I might have them soon if I ever find the digi cam.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
It will probably affect the bacterial bed, so I'd be ready for water changes, but you'll have to follow the directions really when it comes to that. I'd only be worried about the gravel itself in that it might soak up anything that could be leeched out later. Nothing to worry about really, but later on if the tank is used for saltwater or if you keep something sensitive to medications, such as loaches, it may cause problems, but probably not. So when it comes down to it, remember you used it, but don't worry about it.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you luck with the future fish in that tank, and hopefully we can help you with the next fish if you choose to get another one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store