Tomato clowns? How aggressive?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I am thinking about getting a tomato clown, I have never kept on before, I have always been a perc clown guy, but I have not had much luck with them recently.

My questions are, how aggressive are tomato clowns? Will they bother other tank mates? (I will include my list below)

Should I get one or two?

Here is my setup and species list, thanks!

Tank description:
100 gallon tank
2.6 wpg pc lighting
35 gal wet/dry/sump
Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizer
1 yellow tang
1 pac blue tang
5 reef chromis
1 TR perc clown
2 lyretail chromis
2 spotted cardinal fish
2 engineer goby
1 firefish
current cleanup crew: 25 turbos, 50 blue leg hermits
Inverts: star polyp, yellow colony polyp, encrusting
coral, pulsing Xenia, 1 sand star

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Yes, they can get pretty aggressive and territorial. Tomato and maroon clowns can be terrors! It's not a guarantee they'll be aggressive but if you want more peaceful tankmates, I would personally stick to the more peaceful clowns.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah. and i definatly wouldnt mix a tomato with any other species of clown such as that perc you had listed. i wouldnt actualy ever mix species. some people have done it though in large tanks.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Thanks fishieness,

Yes I know, I wouldn't mix them either, I have heard that a Tomato will take out a perc pretty quickly. I was planning on giving my perc to my god daughter, her parents just got her a 20 gallon for her B-day and I was going to help her setup as a SW tank of course!

Given my species list from my first post, does anyone see a problem with adding a Tomato later on?

and as for mixing, for some reason I have always had success mixing a Yellow Tang and a Blue Tang, in larger tanks of course.

txaggies07

My fish are happy...i think
Dec 22, 2006
College Station, TX
The tomato clown can be a pain. The tomato was territorial towards my maroon but not really mean. He is definitely mean towards my percs (different tank setups - and an unlucky thing that I have them at all)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store