suspected dropsy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Beginning to suspect dropsy in one of my blackskirt tetras in my 180g tank. It is hovering near the surface (but not gasping),is looking a bit bloated and I think there might be the beginnings of a pine cone look, but its hard to tell for sure.
No other fish are effected and I have never had this problem before.
No additions to the tank in many many months. Water is good, nitrate a little high, around 20 or 30ish, I missed a water change last week, just did one yesterday. I added a couple slices of cucumber yesterday, but the tetras rarely touch it if that could even be the cause. All I can guess is that maybe it got in the stream of water as I was pouring and it was going in too fast?? I heard that could damage internal organs not sure if thats even true. the other causes I've read for dropsy is bacteria/virus, but all the other fish look good so far.

Problem is that my QT tank is being borrowed at the moment and I have no where to put the fish. If it becomes clear that is dropsy, and most fish don't survive should I consider euthanizing since I don't have my tank to QT with?? Not sure what to do...:headshake2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store