What else?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
What else could I add to my 75? More of the same? Everything is getting along pretty well. I was just wondering if there is one more species to add?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I think you could add another mbuna species at least...
maybe pseudotropheus elongatus of which there are many colour variants, or,

pseudotropheus acei are lovely fish, white fin or yellow fin, I prefer white myself...

or labidochromis careulus are beautiful. The Acei are only slightly more aggressive than the labs, which are very mild mannered for mbuna. They might find your auratus a bit tough, so you would make them the largest group in the tank to give them a chance.

also, what about some synodontis catfish to add some diversity ? multipuncatus are great fish and do well with malawi or tangs, and are better in groups of 4 or so. There are other synos too.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Johannis would be great if you can get 1m/3f. Or P. elongatus would work too. I'd try to add another "semi-aggressive or aggressive" tempered Mbuna not Yellow Labs or Acei which are less aggressive. Kenyi and Auratus are 2 of the most aggressive Mbuna, so its best to get something that would do well with them.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Johannis would be great if you can get 1m/3f. Or P. elongatus would work too. I'd try to add another "semi-aggressive or aggressive" tempered Mbuna not Yellow Labs or Acei which are less aggressive. Kenyi and Auratus are 2 of the most aggressive Mbuna, so its best to get something that would do well with them.
That is what I was thinking. Would Johanni work? Maybe Crabro? Suggestions? I know I don't want to get something too close to the same markings and colorings as the auratus and kenyi because they will probably beat the crap out of whatever looks like them.

Last edited:

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
you could definitely get more.

I have seen the number of mbunas you have in a 50 gal before.
What are you talking about man?

nzo

AC Members
Apr 16, 2007
Yes, added a group of P. Elongatus the other week to my setup, and hasn't upset the balance at all. There is an elongatus that is much more aggressive than the others, but I seem to have landed ok with the more docile ones.

A male has emerged from the 3, which is quite stunning in his full colours. Quite amazing for £3 each - no-one seems to want them in this country!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store